Morton's smoke/sugar cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomtom

Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Found some of the Sugar/Smoke cure here on the Big Island.... I've got 3.35 lbs of pork belly ready for cure...Morton's label instructs to use 1/2 oz. per pound of meat... inside the package is a spice packet which one mixes into the cure at a ratio of 1 1/4 tsp.to the cup of cure. No problem, but, umm...when I get it mixed - I no longer have 1/2 oz of cure per pound - I have 1/2 oz. of cure/spice per pound. Am I just pickin' fly specks outa pepper - or does it matter that much to be super accurate?
(would'nt do to have Granny keel over after her breakfast bacon...)

I've never used that particular product, but I would check with Mortons website, or contact them directly if you are in doubt.

I have an 8# bag of the unsmoked Morton's sugar cure. The bulk of the bag looks like plan ole tender quick with a spice packet. I am wondering if you use the cure at the level suggested and then add a small bit of the spice packet. If you get a better opinion from somewhere then please share the knowledge.

thank you

The sugar cure and the salt cure are interchangable. 1 tablespoon per pound. The sugar cure is used more for whole hams, thus the spice packet. Regardless of what seasoning or spices, the amount of cure per pound is constant.

The cure your working with is foriegn to me. I have used the morton's salt cure for bacon and with ron's input I want to use it on alot more stuff now. I thank you for more input and I will log it in for furture use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky