More Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
As I have said, making bacon has become somewhat of an addiction, thanks to the helpful folks here Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , Doug DougE DougE , John Fueling Around Fueling Around , as well as the other enablers and encouragers here. All of my bacon so far has been 1.75% total salt, cure + salt, and it's fantastic. I really like the white pepper and garlic seasoning, too. It's amazing how quickly it disappears...😂 Decided this time to reduce it to 1.5% and also do the bagged vs dry trial, mostly because of refrigerator space being limited for 3 bellies...😉

1987g belly
24.8g salt
5g cure
14.9g sugar
20240416_084319[1].jpg

1879g belly
23.5g salt
4.7g cure
14.1g sugar

1580g belly
19.8g salt
4g cure
12g sugar
20240416_084038[1].jpg

These 2 got white pepper and garlic and the bagged one is plain. I'll be back in 2-3 weeks...

Looks great. Bet it is awesome. Nice work.

Lmao I'm hoping at some point all these professionals will help me make some bacon.

If you don't mind, what is the reasoning or rhyme behind wet brined cured bacon & dry cured bacon?

Thanks.

Looks great. Bet it is awesome. Nice work.

Lmao I'm hoping at some point all these professionals will help me make some bacon.

If you don't mind, what is the reasoning or rhyme behind wet brined cured bacon & dry cured bacon?

Thanks.
Anytime you're ready, there is help here for you. Difference between wet brine and dry brined... personal preference.

Ryan

Reactions: DieselTech
Anytime you're ready, there is help here for you. Difference between wet brine and dry brined... personal preference.

Ryan
OK thanks. Is one style of bacon easier than another when it comes to making?

I'm a newbie, so to me it seems like dry cured bacon would be easier to do. But I maybe totally wrong on this.

Thanks.

Reactions: nlife

I'm a newbie, so to me it seems like dry cured bacon would be easier to do. But I maybe totally wrong on this.

Thanks.

The dry cure bacon definitely takes up less space in the fridge. Mix up the salt, cure and sugar. Rub onto pork belly. Place into ziplock or vacuum pack it. Put in fridge for 7-14 days. Flip every other day. After that, it's smoke, rest, slice, pack and or eat.

Do make sure your refrigerator is the right temp.

Reactions: DieselTech
The dry cure bacon definitely takes up less space in the fridge. Mix up the salt, cure and sugar. Rub onto pork belly. Place into ziplock or vacuum pack it. Put in fridge for 7-14 days. Flip every other day. After that, it's smoke, rest, slice, pack and or eat.

Do make sure your refrigerator is the right temp.
Thanks I appreciate your time & trouble.

I've been reading a bit on the process of bacon making. I also heard something about keeping your fridge at 38°F I believe. Lol I think that is what I remember. 🤔

Reactions: Brokenhandle

Thanks.
True dry cure is not bagged and not flipped every day or so. I have 3 bellies ready to smoke today. Two are true dry cured and one is dry cured and bagged. The bagged one was flipped and massaged every day or at least every other day. So the easiest curing method is the true dry cured, in my opinion. It's definitely a set it and forget technique.
SmokinEdge SmokinEdge turned me onto this...

147℉ or so IT, time to pull...
20240502_144257[1].jpg

Out of the smoke and on the counter to cool...
20240502_144540[1].jpg

Will bag and in the fridge overnight, slicing tomorrow or Saturday. Notice the size difference between the belly on the right which was cured in a bag and the other 2 which were not bagged...

No, no spices or seasoning other than the .25, 1.25, and .75. Not sure why it looks like that...
Then that is a perfect example of more moisture, specifically in the fat vs the dry which has less.

I like the way the dry fries in a pan also. It browns faster because it has less moisture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky