Monitoring Temperature Inside the Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JRC

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 26, 2024
Moraga, California
I purchased a Vauno EN2053-3 remote wireless BBQ and meat thermometer on Amazon.

I bought the thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the Smoke Vault smoker I have. It works fine, but the standard 40" cables are a bit short for where I'd like to mount the probes in relation to the plug-in receiver.
  • Are their thermometers with temperature probes that have a longer cable? Say 60"?
  • Has anyone used the new (high priced) wireless probes which run with the phone app? Whats the reception like away from the smoker and in the house?

Reactions: JLeonard
I doubt you will find many inexpensive set ups with probe leads that long. Fireboard makes probes with a 6' length and also sell 6' extensions. I just learned about the extensions when looking based on your question. I'll have to buy a few. Note Fireboard standard probe leads are 4'. I bought both the Fireboards I have used for around $100. The Bluetooth is phenomenal and you can even monitor via cloud at long distance. Best of the best IMO.

Reactions: JRC
I doubt you will find many inexpensive set ups with probe leads that long. Fireboard makes probes with a 6' length and also sell 6' extensions. I just learned about the extensions when looking based on your question. I'll have to buy a few. Note Fireboard standard probe leads are 4'. I bought both the Fireboards I have used for around $100. The Bluetooth is phenomenal and you can even monitor via cloud at long distance. Best of the best IMO.

Wow!.....that Fireboard stuff is pricey! :emoji_astonished:

Drill a hole in the smoker to make a probe port closer to where you want to mount the read out. I’m guessing you are running the probe wires through the door now?

Reactions: jcam222 and JRC
Drill a hole in the smoker to make a probe port closer to where you want to mount the read out. I’m guessing you are running the probe wires through the door now?

I am running the probes through the top vent. I can drill holes. I'm just averse to drilling holes in a new smoker. :emoji_wink:

I am running the probes through the top vent. I can drill holes. I'm just averse to drilling holes in a new smoker. :emoji_wink:
Gotta make what you have work for you. Brand new custom smokers come with probe ports already installed, now you are just custom on your end. 😉

Reactions: JRC and jcam222
Note there is more to it than just the plug. There are different thermisters too. Buy somewhere you can return. I think you can get the Thermoworks Pro on Amazon. Easy return then

Thanks...............I noticed the thermisters with with two different types of plugs ends.

Going back to my old stereo days; one looks like a "stereo" plug (two black separators), and the other looks like a "mono" plug (one black separator).

Thermoworks produces models for each type of plug.

The probe I have has the "mono" version.

The 72" Fireboard probe I see on the ACE website is also a "mono" version.

The challenge with the Vauno 2053-3 thermometer is it does not appear to have the ability to calibrate the receiver to match the probe. So hopefully the Fireboard probe is pretty close to temperature.

Reactions: jcam222
I do as well. I have switched to the waterproof probes.
More flexible and don't kink.
The now have the waterproof ambient probes that I need to get.
I'll have to check those out. I've had plenty of probes go bad over a few years. Last year or so I've been pretty lucky. I find that if a probe is going to go bad it usually does pretty quickly. Those that don't seem to last forever.

Reactions: JRC and 02ebz06
Thermoworks uses the same type of cable as Fireboard.
47" cable $19
3.3' extension cable $9
This! Thermoworks is the best. Depending on how fancy you want to go will drive the cost. A simple DOT thermometer works great - I’ve had two for about 1 years, waterproof and simple. When you start adding multiple probes, Bluetooth, wifi the dollars roll up.

I'll have to check those out. I've had plenty of probes go bad over a few years. Last year or so I've been pretty lucky. I find that if a probe is going to go bad it usually does pretty quickly. Those that don't seem to last forever.

A question for everyone......Are you using the probes in the meat? or more for monitoring the ambient temperature inside the smoker?

The model I have has two meat probes and one "BBQ probe", where hi/lo limits can be set.

I have been using the meat probes to monitor ambient temperature inside the smoker. I'm now thinking of mounting the hi/lo probe directly under where the meat sits and skipping the meat probes.

A question for everyone......Are you using the probes in the meat? or more for monitoring the ambient temperature inside the smoker?

The model I have has two meat probes and one "BBQ probe", where hi/lo limits can be set.

I have been using the meat probes to monitor ambient temperature inside the smoker. I'm now thinking of mounting the hi/lo probe directly under where the meat sits and skipping the meat probes.
I checked the chamber temps a couple times and the settting is pretty accurate, so I stopped. I probe all meats except ribs which I check with an insta thermometer towards the end.

I use at least one probe for pit temp and other probes for the meat. The whole value to me of these setups is remote monitoring of both pit and meat temps. That is true x100 for overnight cooks.

Gotta make what you have work for you. Brand new custom smokers come with probe ports already installed, now you are just custom on your end. 😉

I took your advice and drilled a hole for the probes. 1/2", so not too large.

Attachments

• Probe Hole in Right Side.jpeg
    Probe Hole in Right Side.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Probe Hole with Receiver.jpeg
    Probe Hole with Receiver.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky