Mom's 60th Birthday Party...Am I Making Enough Food? Or Too Much...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey2569

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
People of Earth, I come to you with a question. My mom is turning 60 years young this weekend, and we are throwing a surprise party for her. Since she normally runs all the parties, it is my task to take the reigns and make all the food. Of course, this is my excuse for making pounds and pounds of smoked meats for the masses!

Here is a run down of what I am making with the amounts next to it. The amounts are precooked weights.

There are roughly 35 adults, 5 children attending (± 5).

Starters:

Chips & Dip: 3 bags

Veggie Tray

Calzones: 6

Wings: about 180 wing pieces

Kielbasa: 6 grilled and sliced

Mains:

Pulled Pork: 14-15 lbs uncooked

Brisket: 9 lbs

Spares: 6 racks

Fatties: 3

Hot Dogs: 24

Sides:

Mac & Cheese: 1 tray (2 lbs of pasta)

Beans: 1 tray

Pasta Salad: 1 lbs of cooked pasta

Cole Slaw: 1 Tray

Dessert:

2 Cakes

1 tray of brownies

Ice Cream Sundae bar

Cookies: 2 dozen

Thoughts? I feel like I need more, but it could be the maniac in me talking. I could add things like Fried Chicken pieces, another fattie or 2, or maybe some sausages with peppers and onions. But am I making too much?

Any thoughts or advice helps! Thanks!

PS: And of course, this will be well documented...

My first thoughts are maybe a bit heavy on wings and a bit light on the pulled pork 14-15 lbs raw is going to yield 7-8 lbs of pulled and I figure 3 sandwiches per lb so your looking at 21-24 sandwiches of course I realize you have other meats. The sides I'm not sure about because you wrote 1 tray but how much each tray contains

My first thoughts are maybe a bit heavy on wings and a bit light on the pulled pork 14-15 lbs raw is going to yield 7-8 lbs of pulled and I figure 3 sandwiches per lb so your looking at 21-24 sandwiches of course I realize you have other meats. The sides I'm not sure about because you wrote 1 tray but how much each tray contains
Figured the "tray" measurement would be a little vague...it should yield about 1 large buffet tray (I forget the measurements of them). the M&C should be 2 lbs of pasta, and the pasta salad will be 1 lb.

Beans I have 2 cans which equal about 75 ounces. I will be adding a kielbasa to the beans as well.

So you think I should throw another shoulder on there?

Was thinking of increasing ribs to 8 racks as well...

If I increase to 8, and throw another 6 pound shoulder on there, will it be too much?

Nascar race in Loudon the next day, so I guess it wont go un-eaten!!

And Piney...we are a wing heavy family, so those are a staple!

Between my brother, his wife and myself we once ate 100 wing pieces in a sitting. That was a feat...

With the race the next day I'd do the extra butt, ribs, and another pan of beans and possibly another pan of slaw and know I had enough for the party and I could watch the race without worrying about food
biggrin.gif
  Wings I kinda went backwards young kids= 5 wings so that leaves 175 divided by 35 and there will be other apps so I don't want them too full before the main course is served. 

cool.gif

First off you don't invite your brother and his wife and you'll have enough food. JK But for real I think that you might want another butt for pulled pork ( if it's good it goes really fast) then I would also add a trey of beans and maybe the pasta salad to. I think the cole slaw should make it. Then for desserts I think you should just serve pillows for if you folks eat all that food you will need a nap instead of dessert.

With the race the next day I'd do the extra butt, ribs, and another pan of beans and possibly another pan of slaw and know I had enough for the party and I could watch the race without worrying about food
biggrin.gif
  Wings I kinda went backwards young kids= 5 wings so that leaves 175 divided by 35 and there will be other apps so I don't want them too full before the main course is served. 
Extra never killed anyone, right??

I will go with the extra I think. Its not any more work for the most part. The smoker does it all for me. My SIL might be making a rice dish, so if she does that, I will know we are ok with sides.

The most I have cooked for before this has been about 15, and its cake. I figure I will start all the meat prep Thursday. Sides all prepped by Friday mid-day, and the rest is just pulling it together and setting up while she is at work. Should be a blast.

And I have 3 more fatties for the race tailgating on Sunday! Anyone have a spare heart they could lend me? I will need it come Monday morning!

Take lots of Qview!!!!!!

Take lots of Qview!!!!!!
Trust me, this will be well documented. I have it all planned out, just need the weekend to come so I can start! Getting antsy!

I should hire a photographer to film it all for me so I can save time washing off my hands to grab the camera...

Sounds like Piney has you covered - Let me know if you need a good slaw recipe. I am traveling and may not get to read a lot of posts so PM if you need it 

We should probably get more.  Your family is like the Klumps when you all eat.
I suppose that's better than being like the Manson's...Don't even get me started on your family. Like being around a pack of wolves.

Scarbelly - I was going to go straight up regular slaw, but maybe I will mix it up a little. I will PM you and if you have a chance, send it over. Thanks!

For what it's worth, a double batch of my Wicked Baked Beans will fill a standard size steam table pan (12.75 x 6.88 x 4 inches). You can find aluminum foil pans that are close to those dimensions. Just make sure to support the bottom of the pan when you move them or they will buckle on you.

Last edited:
All these articles I read nobody ever seemed to have a lefftover problem. You can keep it or send it along it will be eaten.

I love pics of huge amounts of Qview too! Good luck!

For what it's worth, a double batch of my Wicked Baked Beans will fill a standard size steam table pan (12.75 x 6.88 x 4 inches). You can find aluminum foil pans that are close to those dimensions. Just make sure to support the bottom of the pan when you move them or they will buckle on you.
Dutch,

When I say that I am making beans, there is only one kind worth making. And yours are the ones. My mom who is not a bean person loves (and asks) for your beans whenever I mention making them. I do tweak with some kielbasa, but other than that, they are all yours my friend...delicious.

I am going to make a double batch, but probably just use 2 trays. Going to do one batch with hots, one without. That way everyone is happy, and no complaints!

Meat has been purchased. Went with the following:

Brisket: 13.50 lbs

Pork Shoulders (3 purchased): 6.65, 7.50, 8.30 lbs - 22.45 lbs total

8 Racks of spares

I am hoping that should be plenty of meat. Will be injecting and marinading tonight, and onto the smoker tomorrow afternoon.

I am already hungry...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky