MES 40 with Remote (Christmas Present)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am thinking about purchasing a MES 40, but am confused about the models that are available.

In the last post Bear said to get the Gen 1, but I am having trouble finding this model. I am assuming that the Gen 2 is the new version. What is the reason to avoid the Gen 2?

Thanks,

I am thinking about purchasing a MES 40, but am confused about the models that are available.

In the last post Bear said to get the Gen 1, but I am having trouble finding this model. I am assuming that the Gen 2 is the new version. What is the reason to avoid the Gen 2?

Thanks,
Seems like many guys are still getting the Gen #1.

The Gen #2 has numerous problems. If I couldn't get the Gen #1, I'd wait for the Gen #3.

Bear

Academy (and others) have quite a few gen 1's for sale. I've owned both, follow Bears advice and either get a gen 1 or wait for another model or upgrade. The gen 2 is a step down as far as I'm concerned. If you want a good electric you can look into the Smokin It, or Smokin Tex line also.

Academy (and others) have quite a few gen 1's for sale. I've owned both, follow Bears advice and either get a gen 1 or wait for another model or upgrade. The gen 2 is a step down as far as I'm concerned. If you want a good electric you can look into the Smokin It, or Smokin Tex line also.
How long have the Gen2's been out? I have another smoker that works adequately. So, if this one has been out for awhile and a new one is expected, I will probably wait.

Wonder when the next model will be coming out?

How long have the Gen2's been out? I have another smoker that works adequately. So, if this one has been out for awhile and a new one is expected, I will probably wait.

Wonder when the next model will be coming out?
I expected it shortly after Christmas, but so far no show. I still think it won't be long.

Bear

Good luck with yours. I just sent back my 4th 2nd gen 40" smoker. I was able to get my hands on a Generation 1 unit, a proven and higher regarded smoker with all the bugs out of it or so I am told.

Gen 2's are pieces of junk with so many problems (failures during season, internal temps as much as 40 degrees off, leaking doors etc), just read some of the reviews on this forum alone.. Masterbuilt knows this but does nothing to solve the problems other than change out smokers or change out parts, howevrer their customer service department is wonderful at working with.

Again, good luck with yours.

Smokin in Nye

I ordered a gen 2 from Amazon in December.  while I was waiting for it to arrive I read many posts on this site and I almost sent it back before I even opened the box.  I was expecting problems because of all the negative reports of the gen 2.  I think some factory upgrades were addressed, but information from Master Built is almost not even there.  It's like they aren't even making the unit any more.  Anyway, I seasoned it and then did some baby backs and they turned out very good.  I got a Maverick so I could check all the temps and found that the Masterbuilt was pretty accurate.  On New Years eve I did a brisket packer for 12 hours and it also was very good.  I took some pictrures with my phone and I will try to learn how to post them.  Sorry, I am new to this site and  have never taken part in a forum.  I found this site so informative that I joined.  But, back to my point, so far my gen 2 is working just as it should.  I even did some mods that I read about and had to reverse them and just do as the instructions said and have had good luck.

this is why I built my own, looks rustic but cooks like a fiend and a little more fine tuning and it will be the bomb, built my own automatic fan system with a pid controller so I love it.

I have the gen2 it works as it should for the most part. If you are one for doing single pieces, like roast,ribs or what not you would never notice a issue with mine. However all the hot spots come to life when you load the racks up with a lot of little stuff, like peppers jerky or wings. I would think that most smokers deal with hot spots, and for my gen2 rotating the racks once or twice seems to keep all pieces ending at the same time/temp.

I expected it shortly after Christmas, but so far no show. I still think it won't be long.

Bear
Great to have an insider to keep us up to date on the revised MES, thanks Bear!

I'm on my second one, but I attribute that to the first one being beat up during shipping. BEWARE, this model is not the best to try and use the amazen pellet box, thus far there are few ideas to make it worth without cutting up the unit.

I'm on my second one, but I attribute that to the first one being beat up during shipping. BEWARE, this model is not the best to try and use the amazen pellet box, thus far there are few ideas to make it worth without cutting up the unit.

Are u referring to the gen2? I am only making smoke with the amps ( don't use the chip tray at all) and have 0 issues. Only pellets I can't keep lit are cherry, and everyone has an issue with those I think. I even keep it on the bottom of the unit it never goes out. Loader out 1/4-1/2 and turned 180' chip tray pulled out about 1/4 inch, vent 3/4 to wide open, all per Todd's instruction, and works like a charm. My smoker is semi enclosed with limited air flow to boot.

You don't really think Mrs. Bear kept him around all these years for his "rugged" good looks do you?  He's a pretty handy all round guy besides being an inspirational smoker! Don't forget he's the bane of carpenter ants everywhere. They have his face on their little carpenter ant "Wanted" posters in all their little carpenter ant post offices.

Win/Win situation !!

I went through the whole issue withe the gen 2 and using the AMNPS. i worked with Todd closely on this. I could never keep it smoking no matter what I tried. What finally did work and it was non stop smoking was the tube version of AMNPS. I lit it, placed it on the bottom of the unit and it smoked till it ran out of pellets. That Gen2 unit like the four before it went back to Masterbuilt, the last one was 40 degrees off. To achieve 235 degrees, I had to set the temp on the unit to 275 degrees. I proved this temperature flaw with both a Maverick and an accurate oven thermometer. Masterbuilt .does not dispute this issue with the temperature variations. I got fed up after so many gen 2's with so many issues, I opted for a Gen 1. The AMNPS is supposed to work very well with the Gen 1, and my advice to anyone looking to buy a Masterbuilt smokehouse try and find a Gen 1..

Got one for Christmas, Have cooked on it every weekend since, did saugage, brisket, baby back and spare ribs, as well as chicken.

MY skills need honing, but the smoker did awesome. Everything turned out edible, and even tender and tasty. The remote will spoil you, although I like to go look at what I'm cooking through the glass.

Enjoy, and thank y'all for all the help.

Mike

You don't really think Mrs. Bear kept him around all these years for his "rugged" good looks do you?  He's a pretty handy all round guy besides being an inspirational smoker! Don't forget he's the bane of carpenter ants everywhere. They have his face on their little carpenter ant "Wanted" posters in all their little carpenter ant post offices.

Win/Win situation !!
LOL---Thanks Foamy!!

However that would be the "Carpenter Bees"---Not Ants:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155465/carpenter-bee-traps-upgraded

Bear

Great thread,
I bought myself a MES 40 for Christmas and finally fired it up last week. I never used one before and also had one of Todd's pellet smokers still in the box from close to a year ago that I wanted to try out.
Did a search here and came up with this thread which was a big help. So while I was at it I figured I'd use Bears Step by Step for some pulled pork and it came out awesome.
Thanks John :sausage:

Great thread,
I bought myself a MES 40 for Christmas and finally fired it up last week. I never used one before and also had one of Todd's pellet smokers still in the box from close to a year ago that I wanted to try out.
Did a search here and came up with this thread which was a big help. So while I was at it I figured I'd use Bears Step by Step for some pulled pork and it came out awesome.
Thanks John
sausage.gif
Thanks Dan!!

Coming from you, that means a lot.

Keep up the good work!

Bear

Hello,

my advice, don't buy the mes generation 2, if you can your hands on a Gen1 go for it. I had FIVE Gen 2's. Each one had problems from failing the seasoning process (2 failed) to temperatures being as much as 40 degrees too low, to leaking doors etc. Masterbuilt keeps putting bandages on these units, sending out replacement parts but won't address the problems and fix them. Can't successfully use an AMNPS in this model the air currents are all screwed up (just ask Todd at Amazing products). I finally got MES to take back the "512" model and send me a "311" 40". Amazon might still have the Gen 1 40". do yourself a favor avoid the Gen 2.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky