Mes 30 bluetooth food too dry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fracchia23

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 10, 2017
North east of Italy
hi guys this is Franco from Italy.Finally i have my new MES 30 i attemped 2 times to cook, first time st louis spare ribs and second time Chicken thigh.
I set my Mes to 250 F to have inside a real temperature or 225/230 F (i think is because you have 110v at 60hz and i use a converter to use it but our electricity is 50hz ,so i think is for this reason that Is a real difference)

However i set the Air vent Half open ,inside temperature 225/230F but no Water pan.
Do you think the problem of external part of the meat is too dry is because i dont use it?

Grazie and if want suggestions about italian food...you welcome guys :-)

I don't use liquid in the water pan but I always have it in place while smoking for even heating. It's an obstacle to force air to move around it. I do put aluminum foil over the bottom drip pan, water pan and on top of chip housing for quick easy clean up from drips.

Reactions: SonnyE
Congratulations on your New Smoker!

Maybe try the 3,2,1 Method for your ribs? I did that and about popped. They tasted so good, fall off the bones clean, I really filled up on my 1st attempt.

Like Kurt, I've never used any liquid in my pan. I actually have it removed.
But I think I'll put it back now. Dr. K's orders. ;)

Congratulations on your New Smoker!

Maybe try the 3,2,1 Method for your ribs? I did that and about popped. They tasted so good, fall off the bones clean, I really filled up on my 1st attempt.

Like Kurt, I've never used any liquid in my pan. I actually have it removed.
But I think I'll put it back now. Dr. K's orders. ;)

I did it 3-2-1 but after the firsts 2h 30min i decided to wrap because the surface was to dry

Hi Franco.
Generally in a MES, if your food is dry it's because its overcooked (excluding meats like pork butt that require long cooks to melt the fat and collegen), Are you using a remote digital thermometer or just relying on the therms in the MES. MES therms are generally off by quite a bit. I don't rely on either the stock cook chamber or meat therm.
I don't add any water to my pan (its filled with sand and foiled over) and always leave the top vent wide open.
Gary

20180120_163144.jpg
Ok so maybe your getting more direct heat from the heating element instead of indirect heat with the water pan in place. My favorite level is second level from the top and cook at 275°F naked the whole time without wrapping for 4 -5 hours with St. Louis cut ribs when the bone is exposed 1/4-1/2" pull back . I did the mailbox mod so I removed the chip housing in this pic which is not necessary. I would keep my therms next to the food and set the controller accordingly to keep your actual temp you want on the second rack with an empty water pan.

Last edited:
It looks amazing
View attachment 356828 Ok so maybe your getting more direct heat from the heating element instead of indirect heat with the water pan in place. My favorite level is second level from the top and cook at 275°F naked the whole time without wrapping for 4 -5 hours with St. Louis cut ribs when the bone is exposed 1/4-1/2" pull back . I did the mailbox mod so I removed the chip housing in this pic which is not necessary. I would keep my therms next to the food and set the controller accordingly to keep your actual temp you want on the second rack with an empty water pan.

Cooked 2 baby back ribs tonight.
Came amazing good.I decided to use the Water Pan with the air vent Wide open for the first hour then i took it out and sprayed ribs with 100% italian apple juice (so so so good,no natural flavours or others..just apple juice)... meat came juicy and tender as i wanted...

Cooked 2 baby back ribs tonight.
Came amazing good.I decided to use the Water Pan with the air vent Wide open for the first hour then i took it out and sprayed ribs with 100% italian apple juice (so so so good,no natural flavours or others..just apple juice)... meat came juicy and tender as i wanted...
Did you do the same method as your original post but just put in the empty water pan?

Added the water pan an after the first hour i removed it and starting spraying apple juice every hour before foiling
Just leave the empty water pan there always. It is in the design for circulation. You will see. Work with it. As it is intended to be used. Then

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky