Memorial Day Pork Roast 2012

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

holyfeld

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Maggie Valley, NC
So there I was walking past the meat counter and I heard ... "Hey Don. Wouldn't you like to smoke something for Memorial Day?" I spun around, but didn't see anyone. Then "Hey, stupid, down here. I'm a pork roast." Surely I'm not the only who hears things like this? Any way ... it looks like a bone in rib roast, but pork, not beef. I thought "Hmmm. That would taste mighty nice."

And here's supper tomorrow night, in the raw.

d4cf5395_ThreeThreeQuarters.jpg

Looking at the fat, I think I can smoke this @ 225 to 165 and let it rest. Then cut it into fourths. There happen to be 4 rib bones on the back side to make it easy.

On with some rub

305d3fbe_RubbedAndReady.jpg

and into the fridge until tomorrow morning. I've never done a pork roast before. Its 3.75 pounds. Allowing 1.5 hours / pound @ 225 says about 6 hours in the smoker. Anyone out there got a better number for how long to allow?

Yes, that is the Rib End pork roast, right next to the pork butt; equivalent to smoking a Prime Rib in beef!  Many times they're cut in half lengthwise and sliced into country style ribs, too.  Should be an excellent smoke!

Pops ... you called it. Excellent smoke!

After about 5.5 hours in the smoker it looked like:

Let it rest for a while, then "Oh boy! It's supper time!"

Karol made a nice spinach / avocado / pear salad. I sautéed some mushrooms / onions and the meal looked like:

Karol says I can smoke this anytime. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky