Meatloaf on Open Fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Meatloaf cooked on open fire grill. Covered with dome/lid to help capture heat and smoke.
Ambient temperature about 250 to 300 F over red oak fire/coals. (I like a little bit o' flame in my cooks.)
Cooked 1.5 hours to IT = 160 F.
Drizzled with homemade sauce and served with fresh field peas.
Nice mild smoky flavor.

Excuse the .22 revolver please. I had just had a run-in with a hedgehog.
He had dug a rather large hole at the base of my Fugi apple tree next to the vegetable garden.
So I flooded out the hole and after 30+ minutes he comes out. So I grab the .22 and take a pot shot at him, missing of course.
He runs next door. They have a rat terrier. Maybe that will take care of him, but probably not.

P1040366.jpeg

P1040368.jpeg

P1040369.jpeg

P1040376 (1).jpeg

P1040379.jpeg

Attachments

• P1040375.jpeg
    P1040375.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P1040376.jpeg
    P1040376.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 7
Looks good from over here.

Point for sure
Chris

The loaf looks fantastic
But it must be the best you have ever done,
to want to eat and have to watch out for thieves just in case ( eating with your gun lol )

We had a Gopher in the yard couple years back , living under the Bunky, Between the neighbour and I , He left and moved on to some other poor bastards yard

David

Love those single action revolvers! The meat loaf looks pretty good too. :-)

Very nice looking meatloaf. There seems to be a run on those recently and it's been a blast seeing them. So many different options and variations. Thanks for posting.

Robert

Meatloaf cooked on open fire grill. Covered with dome/lid to help capture heat and smoke.
Ambient temperature about 250 to 300 F over red oak fire/coals. (I like a little bit o' flame in my cooks.)
Cooked 1.5 hours to IT = 160 F.
Drizzled with homemade sauce and served with fresh field peas.
Nice mild smoky flavor.

Excuse the .22 revolver please. I had just had a run-in with a hedgehog.
He had dug a rather large hole at the base of my Fugi apple tree next to the vegetable garden.
So I flooded out the hole and after 30+ minutes he comes out. So I grab the .22 and take a pot shot at him, missing of course.
He runs next door. They have a rat terrier. Maybe that will take care of him, but probably not.

View attachment 638973

View attachment 638974

View attachment 638975

View attachment 638979

View attachment 638978
Beautiful, looking to try that cook myself

Yea, so back to the food.
The meatloaf was very good, but next time I'll do a more traditional smoke, probably on the Weber kettle. The open pit just didn't put as much smoke on it as I would like. I'm still wanting to try this method on a chuck roast though.

Reactions: eaglewing
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky