Meat sticks. How long aftercooking...........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
Hi all,

Been smoking meats for years. I make everything myself, bacon, back bacon, pancetta, sausages, ground meat sticks and of course meat sticks.

I find it isn't worth my time unless I do a 10 lb run of anything in the stuffer. So I end up with about 50-60 full length sticks each run. I love them out of the cooker, they got some snap, they are so good. I make about a dozen different flavors abut I seem to have the same issue with all flavors. They are cured so there is no issues there.
Once they have bloomed overnight I trim the ends and cryovac them and freeze. Of course I keep a few out for the week to eat. when I pull them out of the freezer the casing and meat isn't the same. The casings are soft and rubbery. I can bend the meat stick to a 90 degree and it wont break but if I do that fresh it snaps easily and the casing is papery like.

My question is this, and is actually is a multi question query-

- What do you store or how do you store your sticks when making a big batch?
- How long can they suitably sit out at room temp for? Ive seen them hang in butcher shops for days.
-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky