Meat from Food Lion (If you have one near you)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wncrick

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Holden Beach, NC
So I took the little one out this morning to do our grocery run. Food Lion had $1.49 pork butts so that was my first stop(they were .99 last year, but that is as cheap as I've seen em this year). I'm outta Q so it is time to smoke something. Then I hit lowes foods cause that's the only place in town that sells chicken that isn't shot up with saltwater or broth to make it weigh more.

Anyway, I wanted to check out the meat case for any reduced steaks and couldn't find it. It was gone. No more packs of steak, stew beef, or anything at Food Lion. Apparently they no longer cut meat in the stores. It all comes in pre packaged and vac sealed. I stood there with a confused look long enough that the meat worker offered me a coupon. I tried those vac sealed fillets once, and fed them to my dog. So I respectfully declined the coupon. Then it must have been a manager that walked by and told him "If he wants to try something, just give it to him". I guess I'm not the only one afraid of this stuff. The guy picked me out a nice looking choice ribeye to the tune of $16 and gave it to me to try. That was cool. I'll pair that with the 2.99/lb snow crab clusters mispriced as chicken breasts and call it dinner. I'll let you guys know what I think about it.

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried this stuff and what you thought of it? You might get a deal if you go by one and do like I did...... Never hurts to try.

Just sharing!

Rick

Be happy last weeks pork butts in Dinwiddie VA. Just south of Richmond  were 2.29  This week they are on sale for 2.39.Food Lion  use to sell there own brand of(packaged) ribs with out all the additives but they have not had them lately. Of the big brand packers the Smith field foods brand has the least salt.

I will have to pick up a few more butts before the week is out then.......I kept waiting for that .99/lb again, but that didn't happen.

Rick

I look for the least expensive , too , but not always a success . I just save what $ I can and if Trish doesn't find it , I'll get something to BBQ .
biggrin.gif
  She lets me do things (purchace)  for the F.I.L. , but I've been missing out on the consumption of my efforts lately. Dang , I hate being without my 'CUE'
icon_cry.gif

Waiting on that 'Money Tree' to bloom is seeming a waste.

Anyhow , have fun and . . .

The verdict is in.

I tried out the vac sealed steak a couple nights ago. Started with a 1.4 lb choice ribeye. I put a light coating of oil on it, then seasoned it with fresh ground sea salt, cracked 5 peppercorn blend, and a touch of garlic. I seared it over a screaming hot grill for just a couple minutes each side till it got a little better than rare after resting. Some people let em rest and finish them off with a pat of butter. I did my usual and allowed it to rest with a mixture of butter, bleu cheese, coriander, and parsley (Something about a nice bloody steak and bleu cheese just works for me). Here's the before and after served with a side of crab legs with some clarified butter and extra hot cocktail sauce.  .

Now for the verdict..... It looked like a normal steak after unpacking it. It cooked normally. It tasted normal. I'm not afraid of it any longer. It was as good as anything I've bought recently. I even stopped by the store a few minutes ago and picked up some of the reduced specials for the week cause the ad changes in the morning.  I also picked up four more pork butts
yahoo.gif

Thanks for all the info

Rick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky