Maverick ET-733 thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No on the HHH or LLL and yes, the probe is plugged in. The transmitter doesn't go between 1 and 2, it only reads the 1 probe.

Hey everyone! Getting to try out my new Maverick Et733 and I am bewildered on the difference in reading between the smoker's thermometer and my Maverick. I boiled water and made sure my probes were calibrated. I placed 1 probe on BBQ setting and placed it on the mounting clip on front of the middle rack where my pork shoulder is. The door thermometer says 235 but my Maverick says 270. Is that normal??? Please help!!

Hey everyone! Getting to try out my new Maverick Et733 and I am bewildered on the difference in reading between the smoker's thermometer and my Maverick. I boiled water and made sure my probes were calibrated. I placed 1 probe on BBQ setting and placed it on the mounting clip on front of the middle rack where my pork shoulder is. The door thermometer says 235 but my Maverick says 270. Is that normal??? Please help!!
Always go by your Maverick.

I don't think therms built into doors are any too accurate.

Bear

Bear

I agree. I also checked my Mav 733 in ice water, the calibration was spot at 32 degrees, along with another thermometer. What I did notice recently when smoking 2 pork tenderloins on the same shelf, the back one cooked slightly hotter than the front one. I didn't know that.
By the way...I use the 40 in MES 2.5 Bluetooth model with glass window. Not sure if the window affects the internal temp.
Dennis

Bear
Right!  And if they are accurate and it's at the same level of the food, the temp at the door is most likely different than he center of the smoker where the food is.

-Kurt

I take the batteries or one battery out between uses otherwise I was having the same issues as the rest of u. The only disadvantage of this is that u need to start over fresh everytime in terms of settings as the receiver forgets. I keep everything in a large ziplock in a box and i think the buttons push against the bag sometimes.

Always go with the Maverick. I also own the ET-733. There are times during the smoke when the MES heating cycles settle down (about 3 hours in) when the controller and ET-733 temps are the same or within 2-3 degrees of each other.

Hey guys.  Sooo, New Years Eve and the beers were flowing.  Went over to a friends house who made a roast lamb in the oven.  I took my Mav and put the transmitter next to the oven on the counter.  At some point someone used the gas stove top.  I didnt realize it for quite sometime.  When I went to rescue my Mav, it felt like it was about to reach melting point.  I couldnt even hold it in my hand........

I havent had a chance to test it yet.  Do you think it's screwed?

Hey guys.  Sooo, New Years Eve and the beers were flowing.  Went over to a friends house who made a roast lamb in the oven.  I took my Mav and put the transmitter next to the oven on the counter.  At some point someone used the gas stove top.  I didnt realize it for quite sometime.  When I went to rescue my Mav, it felt like it was about to reach melting point.  I couldnt even hold it in my hand........

Maybe not, as long as it didn't melt.

I always keep mine on the left side of the top of my MES, because the right side gets hotter, but I think they can take quite a bit of heat.  Good luck with it.

Bear

I don't know about your Maverick, but I have been thinking about trying a leg of lamb in the Dutch oven, so it turns out "fall off the bone". Wouldn't need the Mav for that. This weekend I am cooking lamb shanks in the Dutch oven. (We received a nice big cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas, and I love lamb!)
Dennis

Thanks Bear.  Yeah it was a rocking party, live music etc.  What a blast.  I blame the beer haha!  The lamb was amazing though.  I havent had lamb in years.  We cooked it to 145F.  Guys were fighting over it. 

Thanks Bear.  Yeah it was a rocking party, live music etc.  What a blast.  I blame the beer haha!  The lamb was amazing though.  I havent had lamb in years.  We cooked it to 145F.  Guys were fighting over it. 
You and your buds welcome to hold that party at the end of this year at  my house...

Last edited:

You and your buds welcome to hold that party at the end of this year at  my house...
banana_smiley.gif

Hi all, just got the ET-733 as its been recommend in several articles. I noticed a difference between the two probes temps at room temperature of 1-6 degrees between them.  Is this normal?  what it the ET-733 variable? +/- 2-3 degrees?.  I have not tried it out in my smoker just yet.

Thanks.

Mine were a couple of degrees different sitting on the counter top.  Reverse the probes in their respective holes and see what happens. When i put mine into practice they were fine. Depends how anal u/we are i guess. 6 degress is a lot 1 or 2 among friends is tolerable. I never did the glacier/molten lava test, boiled or froze my probes but i have a bucket full of mavericks and my 733 is  within a degree of any thermometer/measuring device i have!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky