Maverick Et-73

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondamandan

Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Hi everyone! I have been using my WSM 22 alot with my maverick ET-73 and have been noticing a big difference in the temp. readings between the maverick and the weber hood mounted thermometer. I mount my ET-73 on the grate with the attatchment that they provide and noticed a 50 degree difference. Is this common? Does it matter where I place the probe on the grate? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I dont use a thermometer in the WSM anymore, but from alot of reading about & and early testing when I first got my WSM there is a difference between the lid temp, and top grate temp.

Me, I use the lid therm as a basic gauge, and basically trust the WSM & how I have my bottom vents set, I also use my hand, and place it over the top vent, and can get a good idea how hot its running by feel. I figure I am typically running between 220 and 250 degrees based on experience.

here is how I figure/estimate my temps, I really dont obsess about them(they are going to fluctuate, and a couple degrees high or low really does not make a difference), its just good to know the range where the WSM might be @.

Lid Temp: 205 Top Rack: 227 Bottom Rack: 237
Lid Temp: 218 Top Rack: 252 Bottom Rack: 262

218 degree lid reading is about as hot as I let it run.

I'd trust the Mav over the stock thermo.
Have you tested both of them by inserting the probes into boiling &/or ice water?
How close/far apart are the two probes when you get the temp diff?

Never trust a stock thermometer. They are often way off. In addition, unless you are cooking your meat in the lid, that's not where you want to measure the temp anyways.

Now I have a maverick and a couple more to go along with it. Now the main thing is to test the thermometers all the time. I do mine about once a month or so. I use the boiling water way to test all of mine.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Dave

I'm have problems with my Mav. ET-73. Today it registered 190 in corned beef (MES set at 235), after only an hour. I tried turning it off, resetting, removing probe, ... everything I could think of. Cheapo Redicheck and thermapen showed 84 and 88. How do I use the water test, and is there a way to recalibrate? I've never washed the probes. I only use antibac. wipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky