Maverick ET-7 Problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oneshot

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2009
West of Chicago
I got a new Maverick ET-7 therm with 2 probes and I'm having problems with it. What's happening is once everything is set (temps) a little time passes and the readings for the current internal temp goes to just lines showing on the LCD. I reset it and then it does the same thing.

Has anyone else had problems with these thermometers?

Being I just bought this from Amazon.com I called the number to the mfg. and talked with a guy and once I described what was happening he asked for my name and address and said he would take care of it. That was all he said and hung up. I have no idea how he's gonna take care of it so I'm waiting to see what happens. I think he might be sending a new one. I'll keep y'all posted when I hear something.

Nothing like that. I hope they take care of you. I've been very happy with my ET-7 thus far.

He's going to send you a brand new one free of charge, More then likely with a small apology note for your inconvenience and letting you know to keep the original one for spare parts.

I had an issue with the probes on my Maverick and I called them and they did the same thing to me. Asked for my name and full address and said they would take care of it. They sent me 6 brand new probes. 4 Meat probes and 2 Smoker probes.

Thing was I was only having issues with 1 Probe.

Mike

Mine does that when the reciever has missed a transmission for some period of time. Not sure just what the time period is, but it seems like 10 minutes.

The Maverick is a cheap toy, but there doesn't seem to be anything better. The wireless range is not good. I don't really know what the range is outside around the yard, but once it has to go through a wall to get into the house most of the signal is wasted.

If you leave it be, and move it closer to the transmitter, it will regain the temps on the next transmission. That way, you won't lose your timers and custom temperatures. Once you shut it off, you have to start over if you're using those features.

That sounds like the exact same problem I'm having and after talking to them today, they said it must be the probes. You may want to call them.

Well, just on a hunch cause something didn't feel right I called them this afternoon. Good thing I did cause they didn't have my info. nor did they have any record of my previous call to them. Not a good start for Maverick's customer service.
After explaining it to the guy again (same guy I talked to last week) he said it was the probes. I know he knows his product but if it was the probes why would they work then stop working. I would think it would be a problem with the signal from the transmitter or reciever. When I suggested that, he got a little argumentative with me and said it was the probes and he was sending me 2 new probes. He also informed me if it was the transmitter or reciever I would have to ship it back to them so they could see what was wrong and then they would ship me a replacement. At this point I'm not to impressed with Maverick, but I'll wait and see what happens before I make a final judgement.
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

Well, I'm not in a position to tell Maverick they're wrong. But it never happens close to the transmitter, and it always happens when I'm more than about 20ft (through the wall inside the house) away. Plus, I check the transmitter and it displays the temps.

I've drawn my own conclusion from the symptoms.

Does anyone know of a good manufacturer that makes similar products that Maverick does? I have an ET-73 and its going on 3 years now. But just in case.....

My receiver stopped receiving a year after I got it. I just use the transmitter for temps. For the money I spent on it, I could have bought few Podlers.

Mine does the same thing, I found that if I turn them both off and quickly turn the receiver on right after the transmitter it works.

Replacing the batteries that it came with helps too.

Gene

I’ve replaced the batteries. I’ve tried turning the both on and off in the sequence they tell you to do on the insert that came on the box and attached to the directions. And just about every sequence I can thinks of. I even hit that button on the back of the transmitter to try to get it re-sync. All with no luck. I just gave up on it and use the transmitter. At least it displays the temps on it.

It does sound like it could be the probes. You might have sneezed while holding them or if someone farts in an adjacent room they will not work anymore.

Try to be more careful with your new set!

Sounds like there's quite a few people that have had problems with these.
The bad part is I heard they are the best around. That's scary!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

I've heard both quite frequently--you either swear by 'em or swear at 'em. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

I visit one forum where the resident genius keeps bragging about how great Oregon Scientific is compared to Maverick. Anybody have any experience with that brand? Unfortunately, I've had bad experiences with some of OS's other "personal electronics". Everything I've run across has been junk. Cheaply made. They have lots of bells and whistle and neat ideas, but it's like putting chrome bumpers on a Yugo. It's still a yugo.

I would be willing to give the OS remote thermometer a shot if I could find decent reviews from somebody who isn't a shill for them.

Well right now I feel like a chunk of wood. I'm doing a slow steady burn and I'm smoking mad!!!!!

It has been 2 weeks since my 1st call to Maverick about my brand new ET-7 thermometer that doesn't work. And 1 week since my 2nd call that I found out they didn't have any record of me. Keep in mind that the guy I talked to the 2nd time was the same guy I talked to the 1st time. Last Monday he said they would send me new probes and I should have had them last week. I still don't think the probes are the problem but it is becoming aparent that this guy I'm dealing with is an idiot and a bs'er.
I try not to loose my cool but enough is enough and I've had it.
I'm calling them again today and although it may not make matters better I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind, and I won't be nice! I hope I get the same guy I talked to before and he gets argumentative with me again. Now it's my turn!

At this point I wouldn't recommend a Maverick product to anyone based on their extremely lousy customer service. I would give them a rating of
-15 on a scale of 1-10.
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
:PDT_Armataz _01_33:

I will do a follow up post once I've talked to them again today.

oneshot, whereabouts in chicago are you? hope they clear it up. now i'm hoping my et-7 stays working like it is. i really like it, but i don't want to deal with them to get anything fixed if i need to.

Ok folks, here is the final update.
I called Maverick again on Monday and asked to talk with a supervisor.
It happened that the woman I was talking to was the supervisor and her name is Elizabeth. I explained to her my problem with the clown that I talked to twice before and how his lack of customer service skills was going to cost them a lot of lost customers and really bad reviews.
It seems the clown I talked to still hadn't sent me the 2 new probes he said needed to be replaced and would correct my problem. This was after talking to him twice and 2 weeks time had passed.
After I explained the problem to Elizabeth she agreed the problem was not the probes but with the units themselves. She apologized for the problems and said she would send me a complete new Maverick ET-73. She shipped it to me overnight UPS and I recieved it the next day.
Elizabeth was very nice and has restored my faith in Mavericks customer service dept. I was so happy with her response time and courtesy I called her the next day when I recieved the package and thanked her for the prompt service and her great personality.
If you have a problem with a Maverick product and have to call them, ask for Elizabeth, she's a real sweetheart.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky