Masterbuilt propane smoker HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just finished seasoning mine. I was about to ask what the best thing for a person who has never used one before. Have you used anything other than the pan for the chips that comes with the smoker? I have read people using a cast iron skillet. I look forward to reading the responses to prevent flair up.

I use two different cast iron skillets. I use an 8" when I'm doing ribs at 225-250, but when I'm smoking chicken breasts or burgers I smoke them at about 325-350, and only for 1 hour for chicken or 30 minutes for burgers, I've found that my wood chunks will flare up with the 8" skillet so I bought a 15" skillet and put the chunks at the outer edges where it doesn't get as hot. Oh... and I also found that the 15" skillet wouldn't keep my chunks smoking at 225 to 250. 

For cheap skillets, if you can't find anything in a thrift store, or don't want the hassle of checking every one in town, my skillets were really cheap at Big Lots if you have those in your area. 

Last edited:
I use two different cast iron skillets. I use an 8" when I'm doing ribs at 225-250, but when I'm smoking chicken breasts or burgers I smoke them at about 325-350, and only for 1 hour for chicken or 30 minutes for burgers, I've found that my wood chunks will flare up with the 8" skillet so I bought a 15" skillet and put the chunks at the outer edges where it doesn't get as hot. Oh... and I also found that the 15" skillet wouldn't keep my chunks smoking at 225 to 250. 

For cheap skillets, if you can't find anything in a thrift store, or don't want the hassle of checking every one in town, my skillets were really cheap at Big Lots if you have those in your area. 

You gave me some such useful info in your post. One question I was going to ask was wood chip or chunks. Looks like chunks are the way to go. Next question., what about your water pan, did you change that out for something else too?

You gave me some such useful info in your post. One question I was going to ask was wood chip or chunks. Looks like chunks are the way to go. Next question., what about your water pan, did you change that out for something else too?
Yeah, before I bought the bigger skillet I was only smoking chicken breasts and burgers, to kind of get a feel for the smoker since I'd only done it on a propane grill... At 325 or so degrees those chips would start smoking immediately putting out huge clouds of smoke, and then burn completely out in about 10 minutes. Chips might work fine if you're smoking at lower temps, sometimes I'll throw some chips on when replacing chunks just to get the smoke started faster. 

I actually removed the stock pan and drilled 3 holes in my skillet and used bolts and nuts to make adjustable legs for the skillet after I saw the mod done by another person on this forum. He has pics of it on a masterbuilt mod thread here somewhere. I'll look for it later, I'm at work now and don't have time to search. 

Oh... for the water pan I just use aluminum baking pans.

spider webs in the venture.... clean the entire burner assembly from the brass inward.....
I'm assuming your comment was directed at my question. Thanks man, I'll pull that off and check it out. I really hope it's that simple, my GF had to do the ribs in the oven, she's normally an outstanding cook, but she followed a recipe online for "fall off the bone ribs" the result was not good. 

I'm assuming your comment was directed at my question. Thanks man, I'll pull that off and check it out. I really hope it's that simple, my GF had to do the ribs in the oven, she's normally an outstanding cook, but she followed a recipe online for "fall off the bone ribs" the result was not good. 

Yep..... spider webs block the gas/air mixture flow.... cause flames out the air ports or whatever....

Yep..... spider webs block the gas/air mixture flow.... cause flames out the air ports or whatever....
There was some webbing in there... but I'm not 100% sure it was spiders, it was clogged with these little guys (see pic below). It looks like it might have been a little nest of em. Either that or they all crawled in there and got caught in the web of a spider. (they're kinda hard to see, but it's those little bugs with the large pincer looking things on the rear end)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky