MasterBuilt 560 Flareups

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chapper

Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Superior, Wisconsin
Need a little help with my MB560. I've owned the MB560 for a few years and I love the flavor that I can get when using it for smoking, I've never had an issue with flare-ups as long as I kept the temp under 350 degrees. However, it seems like every time I crank it up to sear something (steak, burgers, wings), I always end up with huge flare-ups and burnt meat.... I clean the grill after each use, but never fails that I end up with flare-ups whenever I try a high heat sear. I gave my gas grill to my daughter when I purchased the MB560. Now I'm thinking about buying a new gas grill and using grill grates and using for searing and quick cooks or will grill grates help prevent flare-ups if I buy and use on the MB560? I've also been considering manifold covers at Klotesmods or LSS mods.

I'm considering the following to get a nice sear:
1. Buy a gas grill and grill grates.
2. Try grill grates on the MB560
3. Buy a manifold cover at Klotesmods or LSS mosa. If so, which one?
4. Other

Basically, looking from feedback from anyone else who has the same issues with flare-ups when cooking at high heat on the MB560.

Need a little help with my MB560. I've owned the MB560 for a few years and I love the flavor that I can get when using it for smoking, I've never had an issue with flare-ups as long as I kept the temp under 350 degrees. However, it seems like every time I crank it up to sear something (steak, burgers, wings), I always end up with huge flare-ups and burnt meat.... I clean the grill after each use, but never fails that I end up with flare-ups whenever I try a high heat sear. I gave my gas grill to my daughter when I purchased the MB560. Now I'm thinking about buying a new gas grill and using grill grates and using for searing and quick cooks or will grill grates help prevent flare-ups if I buy and use on the MB560? I've also been considering manifold covers at Klotesmods or LSS mods.

I'm considering the following to get a nice sear:
1. Buy a gas grill and grill grates.
2. Try grill grates on the MB560
3. Buy a manifold cover at Klotesmods or LSS mosa. If so, which one?
4. Other

Basically, looking from feedback from anyone else who has the same issues with flare-ups when cooking at high heat on the MB560.
I have a MB800 with the Klotes manifold cover, and the brackets that straddle it that let you use drip pans below the grates. This combination works great for me. I try to use appropriate sized pans that just cover the size of the protein I'm cooking, but allow enough room for heat to flow in the chamber. It's a cook time decision whether the pan gets removed for the sear or not.

I've got the HYBRID manifold cover from Klotesmods for my 1050 and I've been really pleased with it. To ease cleanup I like it wth foil befits cooking.

With that said, fat is flammable, and you can still get flareups. For that reason, I generally reverse sear. I cook over fairly low heat until it's ALMOST as done as I want it, then I pull the meat off and crank up the temp. At 650 or so, I pop the meat back on for 45-90 seconds per side, depending on how seared I want it. It still flares up sometimes, but I don't seem to have issues with burnt meat.

IMO, what happens is when ya crank up the heat, the fan blows harder and blows embers into cook chamber. It just takes one ember hitting a grease puddle and ya get a flare up. Proof of this, take off the manifold and look at all the ash inside.

As others have said, drip pans are the solution. I got the brackets and manifold cover from LSS mods. But just me, when I use the MB560 to reverse sear, I will get a Kettle ready and move to the Kettle to sear. In the end though, I mostly just use the Kettle for all of it.

I've also found on the 560, that I have to be careful about what size drip pan I use, if its too large, it will impact air flow/temps in the cook chamber. It acts the same as a deflector plate on a pellet grill. No matter the size, a pan can make cooking on the bottom grate difficult, so I do most meats on the middle grate. Kind of limits the capacity of a cooker that's already small. And if ya only gonna use the middle grate, then the manifold cover mods aren't necessary , just put a pan on the lower grate.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky