Many years ago...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...there was a restaurant in Columbia named Dianne's On Divine and when I was near, I would go there. They've been closed for probably 10 years, but on the menu was a dish they called Grouper DaVinci and I would always get it. After a few times, I decided to try and make a similar dish myself and I've made my version many times since. I don't readily have access to fresh grouper, but any fresh fish seems to work well.

So I made it again tonight and here we go.....

The stars of the show. Fresh speckled trout fillets, local shrimp, store bought sea scallops, shallots, lemon, artichoke hearts, and fresh spinach...
20210719_121416.jpg

Zest a lemon and chop up the shallots...
thumbnail (5).jpg

All purpose flour seasoned with course salt, fresh ground pepper, and J.O.'s #2. The fillets are dredged in the flour and then I drag them through an egg wash before pan frying in EVOO and unsalted butter...
thumbnail.jpg

Meanwhile the wine, shallots, lemon zest, and the juice from a lemon are in a pot on high to reduce...
20210719_165149 (1).jpg

The fish are put on a rack on a cookie sheet and into the oven to keep warm. The scallops are seasoned with the same salt and pepper as before and a little bit of J.O.'s #1. Pan seared in EVOO and butter...
20210719_174601.jpg

While all this is happening, the beginning of a beurre blanc sauce is reducing away. After it's reduced by 3/4's of the original volume, time to add the half and half. A little over a pint is what I added. The spinach is being sauted in butter and EVOO and the artichoke hearts are being heated up...
thumbnail (2).jpg

Reduce the sauce by about half and then add 1 stick of frozen butter cut into pats whisking continuously to incorporate and prevent the sauce from breaking...
20210719_185650.jpg

The shrimp were sauted in butter until pink and time to plate up and eat...
thumbnail (1).jpg

Fresh fried home grown green tomatoes with homemade pimento cheese on the side. Too much food to eat...
20210719_190852.jpg

I have made this with fresh blue crab lump meat instead of scallops, but really there's nothing about this dish that I would change. This dish is very lemony, can be labor intensive, and requires attention and time management, but the end result is spectacular if the sauce is not allowed to break. Quite a popular dish around here....

Edit to say that the lemon beurre blanc sauce doesn't re-heat well, it will separate. To serve, I put a bed of the sauted spinach on the plate, the fish on top, and then spoon on the sauce. The artichoke hearts are simply heated up.

Last edited:
Looks absolutely delicious! You were busy! I'd gladly help with that plate of food though!

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Damn bud that looks awesome and nice write up
Thank you, Jake.
A+++ man that’s amazing!! I’m bookmarking this for a future project for sure.
Thank you, Jeff. The sauce is what makes this dish.
Looks absolutely delicious! You were busy! I'd gladly help with that plate of food though!

Ryan
Yes Ryan, this dish will keep me busy. My wife actually fried the green tomatoes while I was focusing on the rest.
Damn!!! That looks incredible. I wish I could make something that good! Very nicely done!
You can make this, no problem.
Thanks for sharing this dish with us Smoke. Definitely food p@#n at its best!
Thank you, Colin. It does taste better than it looks.
That looks delicious! You knocked it out of the park. Great work.
Thank you.

You had me at Speckled trout........But DAMN, that dish looks amazing and right in my wheelhouse!!!
I could eat fresh seafood at least 3 nights a week, I absolutely love it.

Hell of a job brother!!!
Dan

Good looking plate of food. I got a good deal on Grouper Cheeks and have been looking for ideas to cook them...JJ

Outstanding looking meal, great presentation, and excellent description as you went through it all. Very well done and I'd love to give that a try.

Robert

I'm with forktender. I can eat seafood like that all week! That really looks like something special for you and your family. This is why I know it's good.

Fantastic looking dish with a great write up, Like, big Like! We used to look forward to the grouper when we'd go to Mexico every year, now a thing of the past. RAY

You had me at Speckled trout........But DAMN, that dish looks amazing and right in my wheelhouse!!!
I could eat fresh seafood at least 3 nights a week, I absolutely love it.

Hell of a job brother!!!
Dan
Thank you, Dan. We love seafood and are very fortunate to have it readily available either to catch myself or buy it.

Reactions: forktender
Good looking plate of food. I got a good deal on Grouper Cheeks and have been looking for ideas to cook them...JJ
Jimmy, I love the cheek meat from most any fish, but it takes a decent size fish to make it worthwhile to try and remove it. You've got some mighty fine eating with that cheek meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky