MAKING AN INEXPENSIVE TUBE SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blaise

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 18, 2017

Stainless steel wire mesh, formed into pellet smoke tube-----these work great at about $6.00 a piece. If anyone is interested, I can post a little how to. Tools needed--pair of dykes, screw driver, wood dowel.

Blaise

I'm in. Show me.
icon14.gif

These have worked great for me-----use them in my grill----cold smoke ----hot smoke. I'll give you a ballpark figure on time-----the 12 in., 4 to 7 hours----seems to depend on pellet type, humidity and draft.

So anyway, I'm going to try to show you, mostly with pics----it's simple but harder to explain-----I'll try to answer any questions.

First of all I purchased some easy form welded wire mesh, 304 stainless. I got mine from McMaster Carr (they sell small amounts without breaking the bank.  https://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=17dm5uc    You want the easy form ----4x4----0.222----78%---0.028---9322T66---$9.52 a SQ. Ft.  You can get two 12 in. tubes out of 1.

Originally I was going to show some pics using the !/4" size. Decided it was to hard to show the details, so I went with a 1/2" mesh to better show how it's done, bear in mind this is much bigger then the !/4"

Use the dykes to cut the 12" mesh in half--leave the prongs on both sides.

Wrap the mesh length wise around the 1 1/4 " dowel (hint the dowel is what used to be used in roll up blinds) seems the best size I've tried.

Bend the prongs around using needle nose pliers and small screw driver, try to offset the next wrap to give about a 1/8" square opening on bottom half of tube.

You can use a hose clamp or duck tape to hold while you bend the other prongs around.  In fact, you can use two hose clamps placed about an inch and a half from each end and call it done -----it burns just as well and is much easier to do -----just doesn't look as good.

Make 3 or four radial cuts on one end and hammer inward to close up the end.

I make an aluminum ash catcher and a small stand for better air flow----keeps the mess down, especially in the BBQ grill.

There you go--- takes me about 30 minutes to make one.

I retrospect-----when I first made these, the commercial products were about $ 19 to $40.00. I'm just plain cheap and I like to recycle, had the stuff laying around for the first one----liked it ----made more. Now I see some versions going for $15.00---BUT I"M STILL CHEAP

Blaise

Very creative! Did you buy the mesh from McMaster or just have it laying around? Is there a reason you went with mesh rather than perforated ss?

That looks like it will do a great job. Here in the UK we can buy from Amazon motorcycle exhaust stainless steel baffle repair tubes which are about £3 (<$4) each. This may be an even cheaper option if they are available in the USA too. You just need to cover one end with tinfoil.

Last edited:

That looks like it will do a great job. Here in the UK we can buy from Amazon motorcycle exhaust stainless steel baffle repair tubes which are about £3 (<$4) each. This may be an even cheaper option if they are available in the USA too. You just need to cover one end with tinfoil.

Looking at Amazon the only perforated motorcycle baffle I can see starts at $35 for 24". YIKES!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky