Makin' Maple-Honey Bacon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
After chasing maple flavor for my bacon for over 20 years I have finally found the recipe that works for me! Picked up a 11.44 pound pork belly at Costco, biggest they had on display at $4.29lb.
DSCN3287.JPG

Slurry Cure:
90 grams canning salt
1/2 cup 100% pure Grade A maple syrup
1/2 cup clover honey
1/2 cup brown maple sugar
13 grams Cure #1
1 - 2 ounce bottle Mapeline

DSCN3288.JPG

DSCN1174.JPG

Cut the belly in half and applied a equal amount of the slurry to each side, rubbed in real good all over

DSCN3289.JPG

Put each piece of belly in a 2-gallon Ziploc freezer bag with equal amounts of the remaining slurry cure, then double-bagged them and into the fridge. Every morning and evening I took the belly bags out for a massage, and rotation flip, after five days I added one cup of water into each bag, back into the fridge for another seven days, still massaging the meat and flipping twice a day. Day 13 it was out of the fridge for a thorough rinse in the sink, then a one hour ice water bath.

DSCN3315.JPG

Towel dry and back to the fridge for a couple of hours, then it was time to fire up my Pro 100 smoker. I let the belly hang for 2 hours to dry and form a pellicle at 100º with vents wide open. After two hours I closed the vents to 1/3 open, raised the temp on the Pro 100 to 115º, and put in a pan of apple chips for five hours. Five hours later I put in a fresh pans of apple chips, raised the smoker temp to 135º, good for the next eight hours, I went to bed. After the 8 hour smoke I removed the chip pan, closed the vents, and jacked the smoker temp up to 165º, pulled at a IT of 139º

004.JPG

Pulled and on the kitchen island, both pieces done exactly to a IT of 139, the Pro 100's pretty hard to beat! The color and aroma were amazing, could just feel that maple!

DSCN3317.JPG

Back into the fridge overnight, uncovered on wire racks. Got things squared up with a sharp blade to fit the vac-seal bags, cut thick slices just the way I like.

DSCN3321.JPG

First bite of the test fry told me all needed to know, real maple flavor coming thru, I've finally found what I've been searching for, this stuff is better then eating candy! I thought I might try cold smoking a batch next time using the same curing method, tho I believe the smoke really brings something to the table too. Plenty of time to think on that, can't cold smoke here until after Xmas to be safe, just gets too hot. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it, thanks for lookin' in and y'all stay safe out there. RAY

Wow that is fantastic looking bacon. And I think the maple flavor is what is needed for bacon. Just my opinion.
I just picked up 4 boneless pork sirloin roasts and I was going to make Back Bacon ( Canadian for you guys ). But was tring to figure what flavor I wanted to try.
MAPLE it is , I will have to look up Mapeline . to see where I might find around here

Thanks for posting , helped sway my mind

Great smoke

David

Oh man. That is some good looking bacon. I have absolutely no will power when it come to bacon. I'd be cooking it a pound at a time.
Jim

Reactions: sawhorseray
MAPLE it is , I will have to look up Mapeline . to see where I might find around here
Thanks for posting , helped sway my mind Great smoke David

Thanks David! I've used smaller amounts in the CB I've smoked in the past, maple flavor didn't really come thru and where I injected the pork loin with cure it left a little brown spot where the needle went in. The spot was harmless, just a bit of cure that dissipated, but it kind of put me off doing that, presentation counts. Thanks for the Like David, I appreciate it. RAY

That’s some fine looking bacon there Ray! Love the color, before you sliced it. Al

Thanks Al! I was pretty darned sure things were going to be fairly dark when I made the slurry, and there were! Thank you for the Like Al, I do appreciate it. RAY

That some beautiful bacon Ray. Is it fairly sweet? Just curious. Nice job.

Thanks Edge! I don't know if I'd describe the flavor as sweet tho the maple does come thru. Not like when you're eating French toast slathered in pure maple syrup, far more subtle, but you know the maple is there.. Thanks you for the like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks awesome. I understand the water bath, do you find ice water works better? Curious. Thanks Corey

This recipe was given to me a bit over 20 years back by my dear departed friend Barry Byner, AKA Chuckwagon. He taught me about 90% of what I know about smoking meat and making sausage. He said to use ice water bath, so that's what I do.

Looks excellent Ray!

Thanks Jim, and thank you for the Like, I appreciate it! RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great Ray. Nice work bud .

Thanks Rich! Seems the older I get the more work it turns out to be, tho it's all worth the effort. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks fantastic Ray. . .

Thanks Justin, I'm thinking a BELT might be on my dinner menu tonight! RAY

Oh man. That is some good looking bacon. I have absolutely no will power when it come to bacon. I'd be cooking it a pound at a time. Jim

Thanks Jim! Don't worry, you'll attain some will power in a few years, most likely right after your doctor has a little chat with your wife! RAY

Ray, that looks amazing my friend. Without doubt the best looking bacon I've ever seen, bar none. Excellent job sir!! Robert

Thank you my friend! I've been chasing this result about forever and am happy as could be, I believe I'll just stick with it. Thanks for the kind words and Like amigo, much appreciated. RAY

Looks excellent Ray. Nice job on that. Appreciate the step by step on it too. Plan to try it out the next belly I get!

Thank you John! If you're looking to get some real maple flavor in your bacon give it shot. I took you're advise and let this batch cure almost twice as long as I ever have, that had to make a big difference in the turnout. Thanks for the Like my friend, much appreciated. RAY

Dang! Ray. You weren't joking when you said you were curing a belly for bacon. Those pics have my mouth watering for sure. Epic job! Stu

Thanks Stu! As you know there are very few things in life I take seriously, bacon and burgers would be two, love 'em both. Thanks for the Like buddy, I do appreciate it . RAY

Gorgeous! Very nice looking bacon with a beautiful color! Next time I making bacon - will use your method. BTW, what is Mapeline ?

Thanks Push! Mapeline is a concentrated flavor, a 2 ounce bottle make 24 pints of maple syrup, I believe using it is what finally made the maple flavor come thru, that and the added curing time to penetrate. You can find the 2oz bottles of Mapeline at Walmart for $2.50 apiece, Amazon is almost twice as much. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Crescent Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor, 2 fl oz - Walmart.com

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Wow that is fantastic looking bacon. And I think the maple flavor is what is needed for bacon. Just my opinion.
I just picked up 4 boneless pork sirloin roasts and I was going to make Back Bacon ( Canadian for you guys ). But was tring to figure what flavor I wanted to try.

Thanks for posting , helped sway my mind

Great smoke

David
I've used this plus real maple syrup on a bacon before, the extract really boosts the real maple flavor.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks & Sounds Fantastic, Ray !! Nice Job! Glad you got your Maple Flavor!! Like. Bear

Thank you John! Bacon ain't just for breakfast, I'm thinking this is going to work real well on a flattop burger, plan to find out real soon! Thanks for the Like Bear, I do appreciate it! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky