Magic Dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I went to wally-world this morning to pick up the things I was short on for Magic Dust and ShooterRick's sharing of his "Copperhead Snake Bitten Chicken" rub. Made up a batch of each.

I can't wait to try the snakebite chicken-that rub smells incredible. I've got 5 or 10 lbs of leg quarters I'm going to use it on next weekend when I get my mods back from the metal shop.

The Magic Dust surprised me since I was worried all that cumin would overpower it. No worries on that~ with all the other ingredients, it turned out to be just a hint of cumin. Smells just right for beef ribs or brisket.

Talking about brisket, I got sticker shock at wally-world. Is it just me, or are you all finding brisket waaaay expensive? Saw beautiful packer cuts - all around 14 lbs each - but it was going for $1.89 / LB.

For Brisket. Here, in beef country.

Anyone else seeing their price jump on brisket?

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mustard powder
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
  • 2 tablespoons cayenne

This is from the Peace Love & Barbecue site. My recipe says to make it spicier, use 1/4 C black pepper and 1/4 cup dry mustard instead of 2 tablespoons each. I only increased to 3 tablespoons.

I'm going to try this. Made a batch tonight and when I try the spices together it is pretty spicy. I'm wondering if after the meat is smoked if it is not as spicy? I just went the kids to eat it. If not I'll buy tube steaks.

I'm going to try this. Made a batch tonight and when I try the spices together it is pretty spicy. I'm wondering if after the meat is smoked if it is not as spicy? I just went the kids to eat it. If not I'll buy tube steaks.
How was It? I'm thinking I may give it a shot. I'm always looking for another great rub/seasoning

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky