Looking to smoke two pork butts and have a question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tatts4life

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
So I'm thinking of having a cook out that requires two 10 pound pork butts ( that size is for a reason) and have a question. My char-broil smoker uses a long basket to hold the meat for smoking. I've all ready smoked one 10 pound pork butt that turned out awesome. Well I noticed the basket could probably hold two 10 pound pork busts but they would be stacked one on top of the other. So the question is can I stack that type of meat to have one cook on top of the other? Or would the grease and fat dripping from the top butt ruin the bottom one some how?

While the car-broil is a really awesome thing that my wife got me for my birthday I'm starting to wonder if I'm gonna have some big limitations.

Do you mean they will be stacked on separate racks? Not touching each other? If so you will be fine! Drippings won't hurt it at all and you can always rotate them too for a more even cook.

Sorry yeah it has these half racks that can be put in to make a second shelf. the only hard part is that I won't be able to rotate the meats once I start cooking. Here is a picture of what the basket looks like to give you an idea. As you can see I don't have much in the way of room to cook a lot of stuff like with more traditional smokers.

Yea you will be fine. My smoker has 3 racks and I stack them full all the time. A little dripping won't hurt anything, some people even think it makes the meat juicer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky