Looking to build an UDS...questions??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

speedway73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Dahlonega,GA.
Hello!!

I soooo want to try 1 of these type smokers!!

Questions:

What is the optimal height of the food grate from the top??

If using multiple levels of grates....doesn't the bottom grate run a bit hotter...being closer to the charcoal basket?

Has anyone built a round charcoal basket that just slips inside the I.D. of the drum, taking full advantage of the space and providing longer smoke times??

How low of temp can a typical UDS build hold and for how long??

Flat lid or domed??

Thanks all. Looking forward to building 1 of these!!

Roger

the top grate height is determined by what lid you will have. mine is 7 inches down as I have the flat barrel lid. If you can get a dome lid off of a kettle bbq then you get quite a bit more clearance for cooking large things like big turkeys or beer butt chickens. keep in mind on the charcoal basket that it has to be able to clear the bolts used for holding up the grates when you take it out to load and light. yes the lower grate is hotter but you could make a diffuser or use a water pan to shield the stuff on there. I only use the bottom grate if I am cooking something like a butt that can take a bit more heat. you will love it mark my words. any more questions feel free to ask. I have had mine for over a year now and just love that darn old ugly drum.

Reactions: dwrek
Oh and I have done 20 hours with a three quarter full basket. mine is the size of a small kettle bbq grate which I think is 13 inches and 12 inches high. really good on fuel.

Good to hear, a very self-rewarding venture.

What is the optimal height of the food grate from the top??

- 7-8”

If using multiple levels of grates....doesn't the bottom grate run a bit hotter...being closer to the charcoal basket?

- You bet, and double so if you have meat on both because the bottom meat will block direct heat from the top

Flat lid or domed??

- Whichever you prefer.  I have done both, whatever is cheaper and more accessible.  If you need two racks, then you need the dome. 

Good luck, let us know your progress. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky