liquid smoke ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
before i started making my own "smoked sausage " there was a meat market that i went to that i got "smoked sausage " from and what always struck me as odd was the sausage i got was "raw " yet they sold it as "smoked sausage " and it was really good , so i'm wondering what they used to get the smoked flavor , i would think they had to be using something like "liquid smoke "

Reactions: chopsaw
4 TBS per pound? I'm wondering just how strong it is. The Sausage makers liquid smoke is all natural. And call for 1 tsp for 5 pounds of meat.

before i started making my own "smoked sausage " there was a meat market that i went to that i got "smoked sausage " from and what always struck me as odd was the sausage i got was "raw " yet they sold it as "smoked sausage " and it was really good , so i'm wondering what they used to get the smoked flavor , i would think they had to be using something like "liquid smoke "

Maybe. Or the sausage had cure in it. And they just cold smoked it.

4 TBS per pound? I'm wondering just how strong it is. The Sausage makers liquid smoke is all natural. And call for 1 tsp for 5 pounds of meat.
I agree . Makes me think some brands are not all natural at that rate . TSM most likely is .

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is follow the directions for what you use .
I still wouldn't use 4 TBLS per pound though .

no .... it was not "cold smoked " so something had to be added
and cure alone wouldn't do it

Ok.....I know cure would not give it the smoked flavor. Just make it safe to be cold smoked. If that is your thought. Then they probably did put liquid or powder smoke in it.

No shame in using liquid smoke. No different than using smoked paprika or salt or any other spice in my opinion. Any of these of which could produce similar smoked flavor in a raw product.

Reactions: jbo_c and chopsaw
wright is not artificial its pure smoke tar. and they have hickory n applewood n others

I find liquid smoke best used on the light side rather than the heavy side if used(and I do sometimes). Too light just tastes like light smoke, too much tastes obviously “fake” - even if you use the good stuff.

My two cents on liquid smoke.

Jbo

Reactions: olaf
i just ordered something called " smoke powder " from Amazon after it gets here, i am going to "tinker " with it 1 lb at a time just to see how it taste's

im not a big fan of it but will use a little in summer sausage. too much and the flavor isnt right.

i just ordered something called " smoke powder " from Amazon after it gets here, i am going to "tinker " with it 1 lb at a time just to see how it taste's

I've used it. And it gives good results. Just make sure you really mix well it into the meat. Having a clump in your SS will provide some interesting drama. Don't ask me how I know!

• Haha
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've added liquid smoke to my juice&vinegar spritzer bottle (always a bit desperate when using pellet machines!) but the meat just doesn't seem to take on any added smoke taste in a smoker with the LS application. Those smoke flavors are probably just too big and complex a molecule to go anywhere in the meat.
But most sauces definitely get better with some LS, even at oven temps....so it's not like the heat hurts the flavor.
I've tried others, but it's hard to beat Wright's.

An interesting bit of Info from the Colgin Liquid Smoke site FAQ's...JJ

How can I use liquid smoke to prevent spoilage?

As you're well aware, smoking products adds flavor and color to them. But liquid smoke, which is generated from hardwood sawdust, also has antioxidative and antimicrobial properties as well. It's possible to add liquid smoke to meat products to improve their safety and shelf life. A variety of studies conducted at Kansas State University (Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Manhattan, KS) have shown that liquid smoke eliminates E. coli 015 7:H7 and other pathogens.

Liquid smoke's functionality in meats is mostly the result of acetic, propionic and other organic acids that lower pH and destroy the walls of bacteria cells. The phenolic compounds in the smoke are well-known bactericides. In one of the university studies, researchers added liquid smoke to pathogenic bacteria in petri dishes, which inhibited microbial growth. The smoke also works well against Salmonella, Listeria and different spoilage organisms.

In other university experiments, scientists inoculated beef tissues and trimmings as well as ground beef with E. coli 0157:H7 and added various amounts of liquid smoke to the samples. The smoke reduced the amount of the bacteria on the surface of the meats. It appears that you can sterilize large meat trimmings by washing them with liquid smoke.

Because liquid smoke also functions as an antioxidant, it prevents warmed-over flavor (WOF) in products. WOF, common in cooked meat that is not consumed immediately, is caused by lipid oxidation reactions. Sensory and analytical studies indicated that the smoke eliminated WOF in ground beef patties. Researchers determined that levels of 0.5% to 1% liquid smoke were acceptable usage levels in these applications.

...Because liquid smoke also functions as an antioxidant, it prevents warmed-over flavor (WOF) in products. WOF, common in cooked meat that is not consumed immediately, is caused by lipid oxidation reactions. Sensory and analytical studies indicated that the smoke eliminated WOF in ground beef patties. Researchers determined that levels of 0.5% to 1% liquid smoke were acceptable usage levels in these applications.
Great info JJ! I was aware of positive research results for LS as an easy to use and distribute preservative for poor countries. But WOF is definitely a first-word problem!
Unfortunately 1% is like a full teaspoon per pound...that seems like an excessive amount flavor-wise to me. The perceived flavor of LS takes a turn for the worse at high levels, at least in my experience.

Unfortunately 1% is like a full teaspoon per pound...that seems like an excessive amount flavor-wise to me.

I've been using Colgin's several years. It is not as strong as Wright's and 1% should be fine. I add 1 to 1 1/2Tbs Colgin's to 1/2C BBQ Sauce to brush on 2 racks o' Oven Spares. Great flavor!...JJ

I've been using Colgin's several years. It is not as strong as Wright's and 1% should be fine...
Thanks JJ. Checking the ingredients via the Amazon label picture, Colgins contains vinegar and a couple other products. But I wouldn't go anywhere near 1% with Wrights.

i decided to try something called " smoke powder ' i will start a new thread called "smoke powder" to explain how things went

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky