LET'S TALK BRISKET!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello Xray.  Did you say a prayer and make an offering to the GREAT SMOKING GODS??  
icon_biggrin.gif
 Tennessee whiskey works well for the offering!  
icon_lol.gif
  All briskets are different.  Without more info I would think the thicker part was under-cooked.  IF! you have a really thin end; cut that sucker off;   Wrap in foil and put it in the cool spot on the smoker or even in the oven on warm.  Then continue with your rat killin.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

So I am getting ready to smoke (2) 12# briskets and have a quick question. Here is my usual process. I smoke with my 30MES Propane smoker. I have done about 6 briskets and all have turned out pretty great except one where I undercooked it (darn lack of sleep got the best of me). I cook at 215 to 225, fat side up. I wrap in butcher paper at 155 to 160 depending on the color and take off anywhere from 195 to 199.

So during each cook I always have one side always a little "Soggy" and the other side is perfect? If I am not mistaken the side that I have face down is the soggy side. So do you all recommend flipping it to fat side down after I put on the butcher paper half way through wrapping it? Lets say around 180 or so?

Any ideas would be great.

Well Danny, I think I've found my problem. I'm originally from Texas and have eaten some killer brisket in my day. Having lived in North Carolina for 35 years I guess the low-and-slow has gotten into my blood. It seems to me that the low and slow method dries all the moisture out of a relatively thin piece of meat while the hot and quick method preserves the moisture necessary to achieve the juicy beef. My methods have always revolved around the fact that collagen(the elastic stuff that makes meat tough) breaks down around 210-215°. The longer I can keep the temp near there the better the break down, and thus, more tender meat.

So, if fast and hot is the way to go, how long does the beef stay at the desired temp. Or, does your brisket reach and stay at this temp while foiled and resting?

NCtim

Hello Tim.  I think you are trying to mix two methods.  I may be misunderstanding.  What I am reading is that you were doing low and slow and then holding the temp at 205-215 for a time to allow the collagen to break down.  Am I correct?

Once you reach that 190-215 temp., depending on what you are looking for; that brisket is done!

I think with low and slow you do have to look out for drying out.  The opposite can be said for hotter and faster.  You run the risk of the brisket being tougher.  The rest time also becomes important.  Do you have the proper time to rest it or are you serving folks and it "must be now!"  In that case I think hotter is better because you can "take it over done a bit and still serve a moist brisket, even though it will not slice, it will fall apart.  I would never say one way is better than the other.  I have had success and failure with both methods.  IF I have all my ducks in a row I would cook my brisket between 325 and 375.  Take it to an IT of 195-200.  Wrap and place in a cooler for 2-4 hours.  I like sliced brisket; not fall apart brisket (when talking BBQ).  I do like a fall apart (fatty. working on my first heart attack) brisket done in the oven.  Slow cooked with an au jus.  Fantastic!

Try it a couple ways and see what works for your family.  Experiment a little.  When you find YOUR way then you will have it for life.  You will not ruin a brisket; some will just be better than others.  If it is too dry; make Texas Red chili out of the left overs.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Cousin,

I don't use butcher paper (haven't order it yet) so take this for what its worth.  Is it still catching lots of liquid, enough to pour off?  If so you may could drain some off and see if that helps.  And the next time you smoke one you could flip it over half way through and see if that helps.

Third option would be to take it out of the butcher paper when its almost done, put soggy side up and smoke it another half hour.  Lets us know your results.  By the way are you resting it after you take it off?

Hey Danny,

We eat it hot and cut chunks, not sliced. No way to slice my brisket, believe me, I've tried a couple of times. My wife makes the church lady (what I call the "funeral brisket") bisket that all the ladies in Weimer serve at funerals. Slow baked in the oven in big aluminum pans with some sauce. I enjoy that, too.

Tim

Hello.  ABSOLUTELY!  Big chunks of good oven cooked brisket!  Braised in a small amount of liquid.  At serving time it comes down to: " HEY!  HEY!  Don't trim that fat off for me!  I'll deal with that myself!"  Thank you very much!  "Slowly back away from that fat and don't make any sudden moves!"  
icon_lol.gif

I do like to try to get my smoked brisket "sliceable".  It is a very fine line.  I don't always achieve that;  but so long as it is tender and not dry I figure it'll do.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Yeah, I usually cook the big briskets on my Carolina cooker pit. It stays the same temp for hours. My wife's are faster in the oven so we'll do flats or points in there. She's gotten to liking the brisket bags for the oven in the last couple of years, I like them covered in foil in an aluminum pan better. I'll have to try the resting version and slice. I love me some sliced brisket sammies.

Tim

Ya I would have to agree on meat quality making a big difference. I'm in Kansas and we raise our own beef. The only ones we keep to butcher all rate at the top of the list. We go through a very strict feeding regimen for the last 90 days and change their rations weekly according to how the beef is finishing according to our nutritionist. I'm very lucky to have great beef but I guess we're the ones freezing to death delivering the calves and sweating to death finishing them. That being said. I love smoking briskets. I'm no expert but the ones I do at home beat the local smoke shops in Wichita hands down every time. I thaw them slowly over a couple days, rub em and let me sit over night then put em on to about 195 then rest in cooler for an hour and then me and the family just die over em. Never bought one but I think you get what you pay for

Having a lot fun smokin brisket and ribs for my friends.
First started smoking after building my reverse flow last year in May. Did my first brisket before doing my 2nd big smoke in October. It was good, but not as good as all the others I've done since. Gary S was who helped me by sharing his method. I've mostly used Jeff's Naked Rib Rub, however, I like Texas Style too. Now I'm going to have to try no rub and trim after slicing. The best results I've had was this last 4th of July weekend were I cooked for co-workers to pick up and take home, and a next door neighbor who supplied his own and gave me one. It was 5 Briskets, 3 of them were black angus 16-18 lbs. The other 2 were select 10 pounders. All were trimmed while cold. I don't use salt in my rub mixture. I dust Kosher salt before applying yellow mustard (unless it's Texas style, olive oil then salt and pepper). Using a large foil pan helps retain the rub as its applied. While the meat is coming up to room temp, I build my fire with Lazzari's Lump (a full 40lb bag) and wait till the cooking chamber reaches around 300 and the smoke is hardly noticeable. Then the meat laid in. I use almond wood mostly for it's availability. When I cut the rounds with my chain saw to make chunks, the saw dust is saved. I'll push the coals away from the fire box door and lay the saw dust right inside the door where it's not touching the coals. This will last for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours adding lump or chunks to help maintain temp between 225-250. At 170 internal temp, I'll double foil wrap and finish at around 205-207. The one thing I did this last time that made the biggest difference was letting them rest in a cooler wrapped up in a beach towel for 3 hours!

Last edited:
Depending on how many brisket cooks you have behind you, should be a consideration. If your techniques for cooking brisket are good then WAGYU could be for you.

However, if you are own your first or second brisket cook maybe you want to refine your cooking techniques.

IMHO the greatest piece of meat cannot make up for a poorly cooked piece of meat.

My 2 cents.

Keep on smoking.

Hi everyone, its the first time admitting I have a problem, that's why I've come here seeking professional help.  I'm 51 years old, I'm from Texas, and I have a hard time producing good brisket.  There, that's like confessing my deepest darkest secret.  I even lived most of my life in a city known as "Cowtown"!  The Chisholm Trail ran right through town.  The first 37 years I never bothered to smoke a brisket, good barbecue was easy to find.  Then I moved to the region of pump jacks and dust storms.  No cows out here and barbecue is as hard to find as trees (none of those either).  So I bought a smoker at HEB to make my own briskets, smoked them over oak wood.  What I ended up with looks good, smells good, but is as elastic as a rubber band.  I've watched BBQ competitions on TV trying to pick up hints, I've watched Franklin's videos online, I've even resorted to cheating by putting the brisket on the smoker for 4 or 5 hours and then putting it in the oven for 4 or 5 hours.  That has finally helped make it editable, but I would like to be able to cook it entirely on the smoker.  I've gone back and tried to help the airflow problem of my offset smoker.  I've installed 2 additional temp gauges in the smoker and it has helped to get a better idea of actual temperature closer to the grate.  Recently I've purchased a Thermopop meat thermometer and hope this helps me better understand where I am at different times in the cooking process.  I've looked into attending a "brisket school" at Texas A&M Meat Science Dept but don't have the time and money.  I've even considered buying a competition smoker like some of the winning teams on TV, but seems excessive for making a good sandwich.  I'm losing the respect of my wife and family, how many times must I hear her ask "Is the brisket going to be ready in time for dinner"?  Danny I need help.  Sure I can smoke a pork loin easily, but in Texas if it isn't beef brisket it isn't barbecue!

Signed,
Deeply embarrassed

You need to post an hour by hour log of how you did your last smoke. It will help zero in on things. Do you wrap? What temp do you take it to before you put in the rest mode?

Many variables to consider.

Hello Aggie94.  "Will the brisket be ready in time for dinner"?  HORRIBLE question.  We have all heard it.  I know folks need to eat but brisket has a mind of it's own.

I agree with cowboy11; we should a step by step.  BUT! I do not agree that it is the "quality" of the brisket.  YES! I do agree that if you start with quality ingredients the final product will be improved but the whole purpose of low and slow and BBQ was  invented because the poor folks could only afford the crap cuts of meat.  Let's face it; if not cooked properly a brisket is a worthless piece of meat!  Like skirt steak ( fajitas ) if noy done properly it would make good shoe soles.

You are using an offset.  I used an offset for years.  I will not presume to know your method; I will tell you what I do.  This is NOT "kosher" so to speak; it is just how I do it:  I don't worry about the grill temp.  So long as it is around 250-375 I leave it to cook.  WHAT I DO is to move the brisket to different parts of the grill ANDI roll the brisket and swap ends every 1-11/2 hours depending on temp..  I have never used a therm. so I can not give you numbers.  What I can tell you is a packer can be cooked in about 8-10 hours on an offset.  Now I am not talking about "bark" and "smoke ring",  Good eating, tender brisket.

Don't stress over brisket.  Just turn it ( mabe baste it ) and relax.  Brisket is not a throw it in and forget it hunk of meat.

Just my opinion.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello Aggie94.  "Will the brisket be ready in time for dinner"?  HORRIBLE question.  We have all heard it.

My standard reply when I get that question from my family is, "probably not. You might want to grab a burger or hotdog if you are really hungry." It usually shuts them up, because they know if they fill up on burgers or hot dogs, then there will just be more brisket for ME! :sausage:

Hello JC.  YEP!  I have started briskets early and started briskets late.  I have had the early starters finish late and the late starters finish early.  Same cooking temps doesn't seem to matter in my experience.  They just seem to have a mind of there own.

The ONE thing that I think makes a difference is smoke as many of the same briskets on YOUR smoker.  What I mean by that is buy your brisket from one supplier, keep what fat content you prefer and use a temp. range.  Learn YOUR smoker with a certain type brisket.  Don't try to smoke an untrimmed packer and then the next time a trimmed flat.  Learn to smoke which ever you prefer before moving on.  Keep each brisket as close to the last brisket you smoked as possible.  If you are buying "over the counter" brisket to save money ( I understand that ); you don't know the age of the animal but try to keep the fat content the same and the aging.  This is only my experience; others may have different.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky