Lets all try this (Gas Prices)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am not a financial guru but wouldn't the remaining 10 billion still have to be reduced by the operating costs the company's require. Paying emp., keeping the lights on, insurance, retirement, benefits etc...?

I know the company I work for is not near the size of a Giant Oil Company and our yearly operating budget is VERY close to a Billion Dollars a year. So 10 Billion for a HUGE Oil Company to me dosn't seem that far out of reality.

Again, I am not a financial guy but I have herd that the government makes more money on a gallon of Gas then the Oil companies do. I know in VA my State alone gets about .70 Cents a gallon!!

I don't like the price of gas either but if the above is true it seems like we need to go after our elected officials and call them to a greater level of fiscal responsibility rather then punishing the bad oil companies.

Just my .00002 cents worth....

At the moment today i am paying $10.80 per English gallon!
It seams to go up weekly here & we just except it & talk about it.
As you say it affects everything you buy.
Something will give big time over here soon
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

fenman

Don't worry the price of fuel and goods will come down alot in the future. When the next depression hits, there will be so many people with nothing to spend the demand will fall off like you can't beleive. Don't think it can happen? Lotta people said that about the last one. Only thing to stop it is a world war, that their workin on now.

fenman: Nope, let's hope anyway. Figure the real blow up will start in the middle east, after that, who knows, gonna depend who jumps in on whose side. Hope I'm wrong, but there past due for one. Gonna be a mess no matter what. Enough politics, back to smokin!

When I was a kid, 40 yrs ago, my mom had an old car and dad had an old truck, that's it. Grocery shopping was, here in the South, done on Wednesday, period... that was "double green stamp day". If the store didn't have what you wanted this week, you DID NOT go back until next Wednesday.

No weedeater, no blower, no trimmer, no 4-wheeler, no golf cart, no $4,000 lawn mower, etc. Not to mention 5-7 vehicles per family.

I, and probably you, have everything... BUT, do I need everything. NO!

Mom tells me that "back then" a tank of gas would last her 2-2 1/2 MONTHS! I, and probably you, use a tank (or more) a week.

We pick up the kids from school, we shop daily for "fresh meats and veggies", we think nothing of (running to town).

We don't "want" to give up our new found freedom of "running the roads" whenever we "want". ie; nobody is going to tell me what i can or can't do.

The BOTTOM LINE: if you want to lower the price of gas/diesel, it's your call. Don't drive as much, don't waste as much.

I have an older friend, 89, that is very dear to me. He has lived through some interesting times. I feel fortunate that he has shared his life's experiences with me. I believe him when he says that we are... going back to the Hoover days, and sooner than you think.

He says we are a lazy country, not willing to work (really work, not just show up), and that we feed too many others with our hard earned taxable dollars. Government "freebie" programs for just about anything at all. We feed the lazy, unwilling, and for the most part, the ungrateful.

I understand that there are those of us that can't do for themselves, and for those, I say no problem... spend my tax dollars on them.

For the rest of the deadbeats, let them go to work like me.

Glad to see the knowledgeable posters on this board catch the Snopes reality.

We live in a free market system, under a capitalist, republic (as opposed to a democratic) government. The pressure that has been placed on oil from countries like India and China is what has caused the price hikes. Not the "environmentalists", and not because we haven't drilled Anwar. The transfer of wealth from the U.S. to the OPEC countries (like Iran, Venezuela, and Lybia), has been incredible. T. Boone Pickens has spoken of this recently. And, the supreme oilman, has the non-oil solution. He is investing in the building of a 4000 kilowatt (the size of two nuclear plants)windfarm near Pampa, Texas. Renewable energy is the answer, or an astute oil man wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. But, let's face it, Americans just won't do anything until we are up against the wall. We are a "reactionary" people, and not a "pro-active" people. But, this is taking us into the realms of "politics", where I dare not venture into on this board.

The solution? Do what I've been doing for the last 7 years. INVEST IN OIL STOCKS. Especially the small independents. I've cleaned up as I've watched my friends in real estate, technology, and the stock market in general, lose their shirts.

Good luck to all the great people on this board. And keep smokin'!!!!!!!!!!

OK, bottom line is supply and demand,so let's stop driving on the days we are off from work and stay at home and smoke some meat.

Sounds good to me. I can walk to ware I hunt and enjoy what little freedom I still have in this Great Country. (At least until the next election) I would still rather pay our gas prices then those in Europe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky