Lazy Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chickenwings

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
Many of you here are COOKS....I'm just a cook. So this time I went for convenience over art - the two biggest concessions are store bought dough and pizza sauce.

I've also tried a few pies on the kamado (three before this one) and I sure wasn't happy. I'm not making dough so I did some research and heard that the stuff from Trader Joe's was the winner so we tried a few. The herb dough was tasty I'll admit but both were VERY hard to work and didn't really get to where I wanted them size and thickness wise. I tried stretching by hand, rolling, pushing but that dough was just SO hard to work. Courage and the urge for Pizza showed up again yesterday so in my lazy way off to the grocery store.
- Classico pizza sauce (I've made my own but y'know this was GOOD)
- Store bought dough - Fry's
- Boar's head pepperoni. Again, I've done some 'work' sourcing pepperoni and entertained but am not motivated or equipped to make my own. This stuff, like the sauce is GOOD. If there is a criticism of it, it's thin. Though it was border to border pepperoni over the sauce the light slice left us wanting a bit more. Next time it'll be a double layer
- Mushrooms
- Onions
- Black olives
- Fresh Basil - Some of the basil got a bit wilted over the cook. Next time I'll add Basil either at the end or half way through cooking.

The Temp I had was about 450 on the KJIII and the cookng on the crust was about perfect. Solid without being crunchy, soft without being doughey. (Doughey? You get what I mean). SWMBO and I both agree that it was the finest effort to date and we'll be on it again soon. Some thoughts and lessons for next time:

- Continue with the bought dough but while stretching to fit the peel, add some parmesan or asiago to the crust and work it in a bit. This is a rip on Hungry Howies Asiago crust pizza, which, BTW, is excellent if you're in a hurry.
- The pepperoni is also excellent but it's thin nature demands doubling up or at least overlapping some of those slices.
- SWMBO likes golden brown so at that temp a little egg wash on the exposed crust would have done that for us.
- Fresh basil is SO good but add it later to reduce wilting.
IMG_6450.JPG

Many of you here are COOKS....I'm just a cook. So this time I went for convenience over art - the two biggest concessions are store bought dough and pizza sauce.

I've also tried a few pies on the kamado (three before this one) and I sure wasn't happy. I'm not making dough so I did some research and heard that the stuff from Trader Joe's was the winner so we tried a few. The herb dough was tasty I'll admit but both were VERY hard to work and didn't really get to where I wanted them size and thickness wise. I tried stretching by hand, rolling, pushing but that dough was just SO hard to work. Courage and the urge for Pizza showed up again yesterday so in my lazy way off to the grocery store.
- Classico pizza sauce (I've made my own but y'know this was GOOD)
- Store bought dough - Fry's
- Boar's head pepperoni. Again, I've done some 'work' sourcing pepperoni and entertained but am not motivated or equipped to make my own. This stuff, like the sauce is GOOD. If there is a criticism of it, it's thin. Though it was border to border pepperoni over the sauce the light slice left us wanting a bit more. Next time it'll be a double layer
- Mushrooms
- Onions
- Black olives
- Fresh Basil - Some of the basil got a bit wilted over the cook. Next time I'll add Basil either at the end or half way through cooking.

The Temp I had was about 450 on the KJIII and the cookng on the crust was about perfect. Solid without being crunchy, soft without being doughey. (Doughey? You get what I mean). SWMBO and I both agree that it was the finest effort to date and we'll be on it again soon. Some thoughts and lessons for next time:

- Continue with the bought dough but while stretching to fit the peel, add some parmesan or asiago to the crust and work it in a bit. This is a rip on Hungry Howies Asiago crust pizza, which, BTW, is excellent if you're in a hurry.
- The pepperoni is also excellent but it's thin nature demands doubling up or at least overlapping some of those slices.
- SWMBO likes golden brown so at that temp a little egg wash on the exposed crust would have done that for us.
- Fresh basil is SO good but add it later to reduce wilting.
View attachment 434139
Looks good! I need to get around and try this again. The last couple of tries have been disastrous for me.

Love homemade pizza. That mix looks great. I’ve never tried egg wash on mine, will give it a go next time.

We use store bought dough due to time and effort, still tastes very good. I’ve still got a lot to learn in the art of pizza.

Looks good. Only tried grilled pizza once, it was a disaster.

Found most store bought dough is really hard to work with, doesnt stretch well, can be sticky. Some pizza places will sell you dough balls if you ask nicely

The stuff I got from Fry's was a pleasure to work with. I just let it warm up for about 30-45 minutes before I started working with it.

Don't give up folks, it's both fun and tasty!

Reactions: Smkryng
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky