Layered Meatloaf W/ Peppers, Onions and Mozzarella Cheese. Mashed potatoes and Beef gravy ( long and lots of pic's )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Layered Meatloaf W/ Peppers, Onions and Mozzarella Cheese. Served with mashed potatoes and Beef gravy

So had some time today between working in shop and not working in the yard. Saw a recipe about a layered meatloaf
and did not care for the fillers , so used what I liked and had on hand
Started with
1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 cup of sauce...3/4 Rotel and 1/4 Heinz ketchup
1 tea of dried oregano , rubbed in hands, for stronger flavor
2 egg
4 slices of bread , chopped up small
1 onion sliced
1/2 each green and red bell peppers
1 1/2 cup grated Mozza. cheese

Mix the meat, bread, oregano, half of the sauce, egg together in a bowl.
Saute the onion and peppers to just limp , than I added 1 egg and stirred and cooked . Just to help hold the veg for later. And divide into to sections.
DSC_4728.JPG

DSC_4730.JPG

DSC_4729.JPG DSC_4731.JPG

With all the meat and ingredients mixed just to well blended ( not over mixed as it will make your loaf tough). Divide the mix into 2 parts . On parchment paper or what ever you have , make 2 rectangles of approx. 8" x 10' I used wax like the recipe said , it soaked through, hard to flip one of them. ( the red lines were so I could judge 8 x 10 approx.)
DSC_4732.JPG

Add the veg and egg mix to the side of each meat flat, than add the cheese on top of that . Than fold over the side of each that has nothing on it and seal the edges by lightly pressing.
Than stack both sections. In hind site I could have added more items between these 2 pieces ....next time :emoji_sunglasses:

DSC_4733.JPG

DSC_4734.JPG

DSC_4735.JPG

Once stacked I put in a pan with foil so I could shape better and than in the freezer for an hour to set and to hold shape while in the smoker. ( so it does not sag )

I have been told that someone is not that fussy about the smoked food . So being the fool... sorry the nice guy I am I made a single serve with out the Rotel and not smoked . So I wrapped it in foil and into the smoker also with the big one ....All mine he says with a grin.
Here is the baby one , single serve ( half a pound )

DSC_4737.JPG DSC_4738.JPG

They are both pulled from the freezer as the smoker is up to 350 deg. and with Mesquite rolling. Once in the smoker it stayed around 300 -315 deg.

DSC_4739.JPG DSC_4740.JPG

This took about 1 hour and 40 minutes, pulled at 163 deg.. beautiful colour and light crust

DSC_4741.JPG

Took both inside and topped with the rest of the sauce mixture and rest of the cheese. Oh and Mona's sause was ketchup and brown sugar mix than cheese
It shrunk down to about 3" high and 8" long by almost 5" wide

DSC_4742.JPG

DSC_4743.JPG

Under the broiler for 8 minutes, Fantastic colour and smell, and the potatoes and gravy almost ready. let the loaf rest for few minutes

DSC_4744.JPG

Sliced and nice layers and little smoke ring. I did not slice the little side kick as It's not mine lol

DSC_4745.JPG

DSC_4746.JPG

My plate with potatoes gravy and a little corn medley and mustard pickles. So good I even went in for seconds

DSC_4747.JPG

DSC_4748.JPG

So this is how it worked out . I know very long post . Everything was real good . But the Rotel was lacking something. Next time I think i will make my own sauce and step up the heat a little more.
But very happy and a full belly. What can I say love me some potatoes and gravy

David

Attachments

• DSC_4736.JPG
    DSC_4736.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 10
Awesome idea, I made something similar with just cheese rolled in the beef, but adding the veggies sounds like much more flavor. Will put this on the list for sure.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
David, you had me at meatloaf and taters…. That being said, the twist on the meatloaf is awesome! The whole plate would disappear quickly if placed before this horizontally challenged redneck! Just sayin! 😉

Awesome idea, I made something similar with just cheese rolled in the beef, but adding the veggies sounds like much more flavor. Will put this on the list for sure.
Thanks for the like and the comment

It was a great flavor and good idea on building the meatloaf. Next time I will use a stronger flavored sauce

David

David, you had me at meatloaf and taters…. That being said, the twist on the meatloaf is awesome! The whole plate would disappear quickly if placed before this horizontally challenged redneck! Just sayin! 😉

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment
It was a great meal and a new way for building a meatloaf for me. As I mentioned , I had to go in for the second plate. And I also love my mashed and gravy.

David

Looks incredible! What a great thread, pics and writeup were top notch and creative. 🤣 I had to laugh when you said full belly! Mine would be bursting🤣 awesome work and creativity!

Thanks Jed for the love and the comment

Really appreciate what you say. It was a great meal and fun to build. Had to stop at 2 plates as there was ice cream and wanted to leave room :emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

David

Those loafs look great David, and I love smoked meatloaf. They're very similar to a fatty but folded instead of yodeled. I like the idea.

Point for sure
Chris

Those loafs look great David, and I love smoked meatloaf. They're very similar to a fatty but folded instead of yodeled. I like the idea.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

I have done a few fatties and also with a basket weave thanks to someone around here, :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
Saw this idea and of coarse changed it some for my tastes.
Fun to make and eat. But next time I will change the sauce to something with more bite and flavor

David

Hot damm David, the Loaf of Life with taters and gravy, can't beat that with a stick! Looks great, some nice work there! RAY

Had me just reading the title. And then I get to reading and drooling over those pics! And then that plated pic!!!!!! MERCY!
Jim

Had me just reading the title. And then I get to reading and drooling over those pics! And then that plated pic!!!!!! MERCY!
Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

I guess you could say I dragged you in from the start, drooling and smiling
Thanks it was a great meal and more for today

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky