lava rocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvking

Original poster
I just broke in a new brinkman offset and i was wondering if anybody has used lava rocks under the food where charcoal would go if you werent smoking.This is only used for smoking so I wont need room for coals.
I was thinking that they would help hold some temp esp. on the opposite end from the firebox any tips or comments are appreciated

i've never tried it on my brink snp but as i run sometimes from 300-200 end to end i don't see where it would get enough heat to make a difference.- thats where a good baffle & tuning plates come into play & maybe a water pan.

Those lava rocks will absorb all the fat and drippings. Since its cooler weather now it won't be a problem but when it gets warmer the fat in the rocks will get rancid. The rocks won't get hot enought to burn the fat and drippings off.

Do what GSG said and get a good baffle and/or some tuning plates to even out the temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky