Latest Brisket Smoke with QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
A couple of weeks ago the store had $1.77/lb choice briskets so I bought two 15 pounders. They were 2 good ones with nice bend and thickness in the flat which are always what I look for but sometimes cannot find the best options.

QView then the writeup:
brisketCloseup.jpg

Sliced and then transferred back to the foil... not so neatly in some cases :D
slicedInFoil.jpg

wholeBrisketsCollage.jpg

I took a little better effort than normal taking pics of the briskets this time around but I'm no photographer hahaha.
The pics basically tell the story of the 2 briskets. As you can see they trimmed up well, fit my racks when trimed, and are thick in the flat once I trim away the thin flat area. Also I season with SPOG.

I normally smoke at 275F but the air was flowing kinda funny in my smoker due to the pans and 2 big giant briskets in there so I had to try and average out the temp to 275F smoker temp. The TX heat then temp dropped over night leaving me with a smoker temp average of 265F in my smoker overnight. We are in super hot days so a 25-30F ambient temp drop kinda screwed with my smoker temp IF I have such an odd airflow situation but no biggy.

These took a little longer seeing as how they mostly cooked at 260-265F overnight but that is why I follow the practice to plan and finish the smoke 4 hours early. Brisket 1 came off 1 hour before noon eating time (target time) and rested about 1.5hrs before me and a buddy dug in!
Brisket 2 continue for another 3-4 hours before it was ready.
Had I been cooking for more than just my buddy and myself I would have planned even more time for buffer but these briskets are mostly for me to eat on this week and to vac seal for later so I only needed something ready for the planned lunch time which I hit.

Anyhow they came out amazing. I used a full tray of 100% Lumberjack Mesquite smoke in my AMNPS, mmmmmm sooo good. Seasoned with SPOG.
I LOVE the point and there is even some natural TX brisket burnt ends that I stacked down in the lower left corner of the pic with the foil. The natural ones are simply the ends and areas on the outside of the brisket that get extra crispy that the bark fiends love so I got a bit of all of it!

I don't often post smokes of what I make these days unless its new, special, or has an interesting story but I took some pretty good pics and felt like celebrating amazing getting my hands on a pair of $1.77/lb choice cut briskets that were the picks of the litter!

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
looks great! I would have tore that up! need to get one on here soon!

tallbm those are great looking briskies. I smoked two this weekend modeled after your 275- no foil/paper no fuss method. In my smoke log journal I named them tallbm briskets! Anyway yours look awesome. Is that a smoke ring from your mes?

Looks great to me! I'm happy if brisket hits $2.99 lb. Nice job all the way around

Ryan

looks great! I would have tore that up! need to get one on here soon!
Thanks! I'll be looking for the post when u make it! :)
Looking good!
Jim
Thanks Jim!

tallbm those are great looking briskies. I smoked two this weekend modeled after your 275- no foil/paper no fuss method. In my smoke log journal I named them tallbm briskets! Anyway yours look awesome. Is that a smoke ring from your mes?
Oh cool! How did did your briskets come out? Hahahaha I can't believe I'm mentioned in your journal that's funny.
Yeah that "smoke ring" is from the MES but I think its only noticeable because of how close up the picture was. Honestly it might just be the transition of the color from dark to light which appears to be a smoke ring cause I can't say I visibly noticed a smoke ring while cutting and eating it hahaha.

I hope my approach on brisket it taught u some stuff that helps you dial on what you prefer. I love this no fuss approach and how good the brisket comes out!

Looks great to me! I'm happy if brisket hits $2.99 lb. Nice job all the way around

Ryan
Thanks! In Dallas at Kroger this weekend they have $1.88/lb choice briskets starting on sale tomorrow.
$2.99 is a respectable price sore sure in most of the country it seems. We are just lucky here in TX that we get so much brisket at such good prices yet its a miracle if you can find a beef chuck for under $2.75/lb when it goes on sale.

Real tasty looking Brisket, TBM. I'm envious of the $1.77 price. Can't remember ever seeing them that low, here in NC.
Thanks!
Yeah that price is pretty good and I picked some fantastic ones out of the pile.
Let's hope that the prices get low for everyone soon and we can all be in brisket heaven :)

Man that is a heck of a great price!! They look fantastic too. I love the point meat the most.

Man that is a heck of a great price!! They look fantastic too. I love the point meat the most.

Thanks!
I'm with you, the point is where it is at!
I'm tempted to buy about 4 and grind em but I don't need to spend that much money lol.

Looking fantastic Tall. Looks really juicy and cooked perfectly. Can't beat that price! Here in Ga. I've been getting Prime Briskets at Sam's for $2.38-2.79/lb most weeks lately, when they're in stock. Since it's usually just the 2 of us, I'm trying to get smaller ones like 12 lbs and under. Great job!

Looking fantastic Tall. Looks really juicy and cooked perfectly. Can't beat that price! Here in Ga. I've been getting Prime Briskets at Sam's for $2.38-2.79/lb most weeks lately, when they're in stock. Since it's usually just the 2 of us, I'm trying to get smaller ones like 12 lbs and under. Great job!
Thanks and oh man that is an AMAZING Prime brisket price!!! I usually try and spread the brisket wealth when I cook them and then vac seal the rest. I will likely vac seal today but still eat on brisket all week haha.

Beautiful looking briskets, tallbm. And that price is awsome. I'm too embarrassed to tell you what we have to pay.
I'd love to get one with a flat that thick--contrary to most, the flat is my preferred part of a brisket.
Great job!!!!!
Gary
Thanks Gary! Yeah it sucks that other's cant get these prices. Yeah that one in the pic had a nice thick flat.
I don't like to pick briskets under 15 pounds if i can avoid it. When they are bigger I can trim down away and reuse the thin flat part and leave a much better/thicker flat like what you see. I also simply try to pick ones that have thicker flats to begin with hahaha.

No judgement here on having a flat preference. When the flat is as thick as the one here it comes out even better! :D

Thanks! I'll be looking for the post when u make it! :)

Thanks Jim!

Oh cool! How did did your briskets come out? Hahahaha I can't believe I'm mentioned in your journal that's funny.
Yeah that "smoke ring" is from the MES but I think its only noticeable because of how close up the picture was. Honestly it might just be the transition of the color from dark to light which appears to be a smoke ring cause I can't say I visibly noticed a smoke ring while cutting and eating it hahaha.

I hope my approach on brisket it taught u some stuff that helps you dial on what you prefer. I love this no fuss approach and how good the brisket comes out!

Mine came out real good. Really appreciate your guidance on smoking fundamentals. Step by steps are great- but so are general rules and guidelines -which is what I take away from many of your posts!
eek

Looks great . The one I did a couple weeks ago had a thick flat . Nice work on that bud .

Mine came out real good. Really appreciate your guidance on smoking fundamentals. Step by steps are great- but so are general rules and guidelines -which is what I take away from many of your posts!
eek
Thanks man! I'm glad my long winded info has helped you out and I'm glad your brisket came out so good :)

Beautiful looking briskets! Like!
Thanks Steve, the brisket was good and I ate on brisket Sat, Mon - Thu hahahaha. Vac sealed the rest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky