Large Vendor Event - Food Holding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krj

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
I'm going to do a large vendor event the second week in October during my county's arts and crafts event. It's a Saturday and Sunday event, and there are thousands of people that flood through the fairgrounds where it's held. Personally, even though I only like 12 minutes away, I avoid that place like the plague. In fact I can't even remember the last time I even went to the event. But I trying to get more big cooks under my belt, and this is a perfect place to start.

I spoke with one of the organizers Saturday, got the paperwork I need to fill out, along with all their regulations. After asking her a few questions she informed me I wouldn't be able to have the smoker right at my booth. This is understandable from a safety perspective, but it presents a problem with how to keep my pulled pork warm for the length on Saturday and then again on Sunday. It's only a 10x10 booth, and I will have access to electricity if needed. I'm just starting out, and pretty much investing what money I can, when I can, so I can't afford a nice big steamer table at the moment.

I haven't decided how many pounds of meat I'm cooking, but I'm leaning towards 300-400lbs uncooked weight of pork butt, so 150-200lbs cooked. I did a cook last month that was 40lbs cooked and that filled up three 9x18 pans after it was pulled. I'll likely do 2/3s of the meat for the busier day which is Saturday, so I'm looking at 8-12 pans on Saturday.

Any thoughts on how to affordably keep the meat warm and servable for the day?

Sucks you cant have your smoker there. People smell that smoke and flock to it!

Crock pots maybe? But it might kinda look like a grandma pot luck lunch at church. You could keep the warm butts in coolers there and just pull one at a time but not sure how that would work out either.

You might want to check if there is a party rental store in your area.
We have one near me that rents all sorts of stuff. Amoung those are warming tables for events like you are facing.
I would wonder if the electrical supply could handle the wattage you would need though.
Can you use Sterno heated serving trays?
Kind of a shame they don't have an area for food service, or food trucks.
Be a Speer-point and innovate.

You can probably rent Cambros from a rental place which hold food trays and do a great job retaining heat. I have 2 that hold 6 each of the full size chaffing pans and do a great job for me. Follow your health dept rules to a T avoid getting shut down remember health safety first always.

Warren

Reactions: SonnyE
I'm from a very small area, but that's a good thought on renting whatever I need.

How long will those Cambros hold temperature? I had the thought of borrowing a couple MES from family members, and basically using them as a low temp oven.

Borrow every Turkey roaster you can. They’ll hold your meat to temp and you won’t have to rent anything.

I have a feeling the mes option will work but dry out your meat. Unless you leave them whole and then pull them as needed. Which is also a good idea.

Scott

I just helped my buddy run our third straight year at the fastesr horses festival in Michigan. Usually around 60,000 people attend. We have a nice steamer at one location but we are forced to use turkey roasters at another. They work well.

Scott

Cambros will hold temperatures for a long time just make sure meat is to temp before placing in them. I would get one chaffing pan with Sterno's to serve from. (they have a water pan that is heated by the sterno) I hope I've been of some help.

Warren

Sam's club near me has tin pans, metal holders and candles to burn under them to keep food warm. You could probably get them online, like from Amazon or from a restaurant supply store as well.
https://m.samsclub.com/ip/catering-...em&kclid=a66e6866-89c7-40a3-be3c-f292051c7eed

You'd have to stir to prevent scorching and monitor liquid content, which would help keep it from scorching and from drying out though evaporation. Maybe more liquid than you'd normally use, like have your finishing sauce on hand. That seems like the most inexpensive yet professional looking way to serve that I can think of. I'd also probably keep finished ones foil wrapped in coolers and shred as needed, for lack of a better option. Or, have somebody bringing them to you from the smoker, if possible. They have to rest anyway, so you have wiggle room.

And, like HalfSmoked HalfSmoked said, follow your health dept rules to a T! Make sure the meat is always held and served at a safe temp.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: darrin maxey
Will do, I actually have a small party that I'm catering middle of August, and if that goes well I'm doing a big cook for a non-profit organization for the local town fair at the end of September. So I'll be plenty busy this fall.

Just curious what your going to smoke on? Your going to need approximately 35- 9lb butts to achieve 200lbs of finished product. I usually figure 9 butts for 50lbs of finished product.
Your are going to need some help as that is going to be a big undertaking.

Wish you good luck!! and interested to see your results of your other events.

I'll be using this old gal until I build my smoker this fall/winter. My Grandpa and his brother built this nearly 30 years ago and it's been put through it's paces many a time. Yea, I'm figuring a 50% loss per butt, which turns out to be a good way to not underserve. It's gonna be a ton of sandwiches depending on how large of portion I do.

If you go heavy on electric stuff, I'd suggest a back up generator. (A really quiet one, or two.)

I think whoever you've been talking to doesn't really have a clue beyond crafty trinkets and maybe some Christmas lights for ambiance.

You can probably rent Cambros from a rental place which hold food trays and do a great job retaining heat. I have 2 that hold 6 each of the full size chaffing pans and do a great job for me. Follow your health dept rules to a T avoid getting shut down remember health safety first always.

Warren

SonnyE Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

I did an event memorial weekend and used 200bs of pulled pork attendance was between 8 - 9 thousand people.
You will need a commented group of help. One of the worst events I ever did was with a group a couple of tents down running a loud generator and fumes. The event now does not allow generators so check this suggestion out before planning on this. Most events that had electric also charge extra for your space. cost can just keep adding up do your home work.

Like your family hand me down smoker its cool looking.

Warren

It's a generator free zone, which is probably for the best considering there are something like 400+ vendors, and 10,000 that attend. I have spoken with one of the organizers, and know what they have for electrical down there and it would be more than adequate to handle whatever I need, but I think I'm just gonna go with renting the Cambro and using sterno steamers for the tables.

Yea, the old gal has been around and has been passed around depending on who needed it, or felt like doing a cook at the time. As soon as I get my gravity fed built, I'm dragging the old gal back to grandpa's because I'm not sure he's had possession of it for 10 years.

It's a generator free zone, which is probably for the best considering there are something like 400+ vendors, and 10,000 that attend. I have spoken with one of the organizers, and know what they have for electrical down there and it would be more than adequate to handle whatever I need, but I think I'm just gonna go with renting the Cambro and using sterno steamers for the tables.

Yea, the old gal has been around and has been passed around depending on who needed it, or felt like doing a cook at the time. As soon as I get my gravity fed built, I'm dragging the old gal back to grandpa's because I'm not sure he's had possession of it for 10 years.

Sounds like a plan then KRJ.
If Grandpa isn't objectionable to it, maybe give the frame a paint job before you take her back?
I'm real strong on tight Family circles.

Sounds like a plan then KRJ.
If Grandpa isn't objectionable to it, maybe give the frame a paint job before you take her back?
I'm real strong on tight Family circles.

It's funny that you say that, I was actually thinking of giving the entire thing a good coat of paint when I finish with mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky