LANG 36" Hybrid Patio Purchase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

megownm

Original poster
Jan 7, 2020
This past Monday I decided to go with the LANG vs any of the other smokers I was looking at. Called Ben and ordered a custom built 36" Hybrid Patio (33inch) axel base so I can get it through my doors to my back patio, also got the 4 Turf pneumatic tires and 1 swivel front axel upgrade for an additional cost. Have been smoking many years on different types of offset smokers but never on a reverse flow smoker. While at a local BBQ comp recently a few guys had various size LANG's and said that they cook much faster than a typical offset pit.
Any of you out there that have a LANG pit can you chime in and let me know is that true (assuming I run the LANG at the same temp I would any other offset).
Looking to see and tips/tricks you all do with your LANG get the best smoked meat possible.

Cheers!

I own a lang 36 and can confirm that it does cook a bit faster because of the radiant heat from the reverse flow plate. BUT, I am comparing that to my weber smokey mountain. I did a 14 lb. brisket for christmas with no wrap that was complete in under 8 hours running at 250. It actually never even hit a stall, which was crazy. At 275 i can st. louis spares done in 3ish hours with no wrap. Love the pit.

I have a Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe and can attest that it cooks a bit faster than other smokers I've had. I'm still getting used to that part of it because the times/temps I'm used to don't hold true with the Lang. BTW you'll love this cooker.

I own a 36 and an 84 Fatboy. They cook faster than the usual pit. They also cook evenly left to right and the top generally runs a little hotter than the bottom. Overall wonderful smokers and If you keep em clean it will put out some very consistent food.

Reactions: jcam222
I have a Lang patio 36" and it does cook faster than my other smokers. Also since the cook chamber is smaller then the big RF units, there is a temp variance between the sides & also top to bottom. I solved both those problems, by adding a water pan next to the firebox & extending the stack down about 6".
Al

Congrats on the new Lang purchase I to have an 84D but have several friends with the 36's and we all find compared to most store bought smokers ours do smoke faster. I believe the reason for that is the reverse flow plate and the fact that the entire smoker is built out of heavier metal than the ones most big box stores sell which allows better heat retention and faster temperature recovery when opened. I don't know that it actually cooks any faster than any other custom built reverse flow as they are all built basically the same and mostly with the same thickness metal (don't flame me people I said mostly) I live in FL so it doesn't usually get very cold and find I can open the door on my 84 do whatever I'm going to do close the smoker back up and I'm still at 225 according to the thermometer.
As said congrats on getting it any questions you might have I'm sure these guys that own the 36's can answer for you. Also once you get it up and running don't forget to post a thread on how you like it and of course Q view is always welcome.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky