Kelvinator frige new build in process.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The dimmesion are 24wide 12" deep and 32" high.

this is my first smoking: Works really great.

When smoked with heat it really works great. But I tried cold smoking and seems like is problem.

The temperature was about 60 degree when I tried to smoke cheese.

The problem is that smoke does not come to the top dumper even when full open 4" dia.. The smoke seats inside, very heavy smoke. Some smoke coming  from  side of the draft holes. The smoke is very heavy in the smoker. The cheese did not taste good it was sour, oversmoke kind of.

I have two draft holes one one each side 1 1/4" each.

Does anybody know how this cold smoke shuld work, and why it work like that, is too much smoke not good?, bad air cyrculation?

I need to do cold smoke samon in couple days and do not want to ruin it .

I was using smoke generator as it show on the picture with apple wood.

Thank you for any advice.

When smoked with heat it really works great. But I tried cold smoking and seems like is problem.

The temperature was about 60 degree when I tried to smoke cheese.

The problem is that smoke does not come to the top dumper even when full open 4" dia.. The smoke seats inside, very heavy smoke. Some smoke coming  from  side of the draft holes. The smoke is very heavy in the smoker. The cheese did not taste good it was sour, oversmoke kind of.

I have two draft holes one one each side 1 1/4" each.

Does anybody know how this cold smoke shuld work, and why it work like that, is too much smoke not good?,

bad air cyrculation?

I need to do cold smoke samon in couple days and do not want to ruin it .

I was using smoke generator as it show on the picture with apple wood.

Thank you for any advice.
ziggy, evening.... You need lots of air circulation when cold smoking...  Part of the process is dehydrating the product... humidity should be about 80%, like dry curing sausage, and smoke should be intermittent, ON.... OFF.... ON  etc for many days....   Dave

Thank you for advice .

My smokestack is pretty tall  abou 10".

What could be other option to improve circulation with cold smoking anybody?

Maybe little fan pushing some air to the draft hole or fan on the smokestack to suck it out?

Thank you

Ziggy, evening.... I would try an aquarium air pump...  Looks like your smoke chamber is about 5 cu ft....  Your smoke gen may be too big for that small of a smoke chamber ie. too much smoke...  To over come that problem, get a big air pump...  regulate the air flow until you get just a wisp of smoke coming out of the smoker....  I do not know if air pumps come in sizes... not my thing.... I would guess, with that smoke gen you might want 2-3 air changes a minute.... How do I know that ???  It's called a SWAG.... (scientific wild a$$ guess)....   Dave

DaveOmak, you may be right that  smoke generator is putting too much smoke.

Before I was using smoke generator made with pipe dia 2.5" , but it was problem that wood chunks were stocking inside and it went out of flame.

So I did one more with 4" pipe. that is producing much more smoke. Currently I am using very small aquarium pump but there was no  control valve to regulate the amount of air. I will install the regulator and see if I can make less smoke coming.

I was just doing hot smoking with the big one and with half dumper close it was coming a lot of smoke. But with heat it seems no problem as the heat rise the smoke is coming out of the dumper making good air cyrculation ,

Thank you

This is with half dumper open and bigger smoke generator hot smoking.

Ziggy, I'm not sure I came across the way intended..... Add the air from the pump to the smoke house.... That will mix in with the smoke and dilute the smoke...   Your picture of the stack, looks like a bit too much smoke to me... 

Dave

daveomak thank you for help . I will try more air or simply I will go back to my smaller smoke generator as it put right amount of smoke and use less wood. I just need to use smaller wood chunks  so they do not cloged up there .

Thank you everybody for great comments.  

Is anybody found nice cover that can be purchase  for those kind of smokers? It would need to be breatable though.

mneeley490  I did extended temporary smokestack 3 feet, and I see improvment more cold smoke coming.

Thank you

Ziggy

I have a similar problem when i try to cold smoke in my verticle smoker, but I am using an amnps to generate the smoke inside the chamber though. What i have found is that when i try to cold smoke; in a cold chamber, there is little natural draw within the chamber. The amnps will fill the lower portion of the smoker and start coming out the intakes, instead of rising to the top (ALMOST 6FT HIGH). If i start the heat (propane) for a short period of time, it creates just enough draw to start pulling the smoke upward and is good from that point on (at which point I turn off the heat). If I wait 10 mins the heat cools down in the chamber to a cold smoking level, but has already started the drawing of the smoke upward. hope this helps.

SOB

SmokingOhioButcher  Thank you

I found similar solution. Removed smokestock and install pc fan  once the smoke start coming I shutoff the fan and the smoke was going upward

The only problem is there need to be little wind outside otherwise the draw diminish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky