Kabanosy Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
I have made Kabanosy a couple of times in the past but to me I was not overly impressed with the favor profile. To me there always seemed to be some spice missing to give them a little more bang for the buck. They say it is "famous Polish sausage and probably the finest meat stick in the world" but sorry I have to disagree. Has anyone added some different spices to the recipe and found an improvement in taste? If so please share your findings.

Reactions: slavikborisov
Couple questions back to you.

First what recipe did you use?
Second did you dry the sticks for a week or so after smoking?

Page 178 of Stanley Marianski's book and yes I followed all the old ways of making them. Len Poli's recipe is a copy and past from Marlianski's.
All the recipes I have read are all the same.
I just find it very bland
Here is another one.

Had the same issue. Best solution I came up with was to add a pound of high temp blue cheese to a 5 pound batch. A lot of folks have commented favorably on the unique flavor. Don’t know you would get the same impact from a less distinctive cheese, like cheddar, but blue certainly makes a statement. Obviously folks who do not like blue cheese would not like these sticks!

Reactions: KBFlyer
Page 178 of Stanley Marianski's book and yes I followed all the old ways of making them. Len Poli's recipe is a copy and past from Marlianski's.
All the recipes I have read are all the same.
I just find it very bland
Here is another one.
Those are solid traditional recipes. Here is one that I made up and is good it has a bit more bite to it and is not traditional.

1 Kg ground pork.
salt) 18g
cure #1) 2.5g
black pepper) 2g
white pepper) 1g
sugar) 2g
Mace) 2g
caraway, cracked) 2g
gran garlic) 2g
celery seed) 1g

I found a old recipe I downloaded from Chris Legnick and from what I can tell he just added Garlic to the recipe. I see you added it also although his calls for fresh garlic. Might be one key ingredient missing. I have 3 or 4 pounds of ground pork I ground from a leg ham I thinking of making into Kabanosy. Going to experiment.

Attachments

• Kabanosy (Chris Legnicki).xlsx
    57.6 KB · Views: 14
I make the Marianski version , and I really like it . I up the caraway and leave it hang about 5 days post smoke .

I found a old recipe I downloaded from Chris Legnick and from what I can tell he just added Garlic to the recipe. I see you added it also although his calls for fresh garlic. Might be one key ingredient missing. I have 3 or 4 pounds of ground pork I ground from a leg ham I thinking of making into Kabanosy. Going to experiment.
Swapping the nutmeg for mace really gives a uptick in flavor as well, and the celery seed is in the back but a welcome addition.

Reactions: slavikborisov
I have made Kabanosy a couple of times in the past but to me I was not overly impressed with the favor profile. To me there always seemed to be some spice missing to give them a little more bang for the buck. They say it is "famous Polish sausage and probably the finest meat stick in the world" but sorry I have to disagree. Has anyone added some different spices to the recipe and found an improvement in taste? If so please share your findings.
Add some granulated garlic along with crushed red pepper flakes OR cayenne pepper. Don't over do it on the pepper because with that small a sausage it does not take much. Even some ancho peppers liquified in to a paste added in lends to a south Tex-Mex deep flavor.

HT

Reactions: KBFlyer
I agree with your observations. What I did that folks really like is add a pound of hi temp blue (bleu?) cheese to 5 pounds. You could almost call them blue cheese sticks then. Needless to say if you don’t like bc you wouldn’t do that but I’ve had quite a few folks say “wow, that’s pretty good!” I haven’t tried pepper Jack or Gouda but that might make a positive difference too.

There is magic with the interplay of the caraway and nutmeg. Like Rich, I bumped the caraway. I think 2:1 caraway:nutmeg. Fresh ground makes a big difference. No other way IMO.

I just mixed a 10 pound batch for this recipe. Added a few ingrediants that is not on the recipe list. Suppose to rain tomorrow so it will be a good day for stuffing. Going with 19mm sheep casings this time.
Tourist Sausage-Russian
Tourist is a small Russian sausage and convenient item for tourists and travelers. Meats are the same as in Tambov sausage but different spices are employed. Similar to Polish Kabanosy meat stick which is made of pork only.
Recipe calls for pork bellies but why waist good pork bellies on snack sticks so I used more ground pork and back fat that I got free from my neighbor. Added some smoked hot paprika and some of my homemade hot suace. If that does not kick it up a notch or two nothing will LOL
Will post a new thread when I get this all going.

20231120_094640.jpg

Last edited:
I just mixed a 10 pound batch for this recipe. Added a few ingrediants that is not on the recipe list. Suppose to rain tomorrow so it will be a good day for stuffing. Going with 19mm sheep casings this time.
Tourist Sausage-Russian
Tourist is a small Russian sausage and convenient item for tourists and travelers. Meats are the same as in Tambov sausage but different spices are employed. Similar to Polish Kabanosy meat stick which is made of pork only.
Recipe calls for pork bellies but why waist good pork bellies on snack sticks so I used more round pork and back fat that I got free from my neighbor. Added some smoked hot paprika and some of my homemade hot suace. If that does not kick it up a notch or two nothing will LOL
Will post a new thread when I get this all going.

View attachment 681497
looks really good and id have to agree the kabanosy ive bought at the European deli tastes different than the recipe i made from mariniski's

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky