kabanosy/pork snack stick recipes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

josiegirl

Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi there I thawed some pork in the fridge last night to make some snack sticks today, but am having trouble settling on a recipe. I bought the Bactoferm F-LC culture for summer sausages and pepperoni but don't have any beef on hand. So I read on here kabanosy are make a great all pork snack stick. Most recipes I see don't use any culture though. Can I add culture? What's your guys's favorite recipe? I have 19 mm collagen casing I'll be using. Can I eat them right out ofthe smoker or must I dry them? I would be drying in the fridge. Also, I think I saw one recipe where it was also boiled or something? Could anyone provide links with a full recipe? I've so far looked at the Hank Shaw recipe. THanks!

Hi, Josie.
Here's a recipe I've used that works well. Don't remember where I got it...
For a 5# batch;
5# ground pork
5tbs kosher salt
1.7 tsp sugar
3.3 tsp course ground pepper
1.7 tsp nutmeg
1.7 tsp caraway seed
1.7 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp #1 cure
Ice water as needed
(All this point this and point that is because I changed a 6# recipe to a 5#. just get it close as you can :-) )

If the pork isn't already ground, mix the spices with it before grinding.
Warm smoke like any other smoked sausage to 160 degrees.

You don't need a culture for Kabanosy sticks, but you will need the cure!
19mm collagen works well.
Dan

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks for replying! I ended up using the Hank Shaw recipe. Seems real similar to yours I think, they all seem about the same lol. I've read 150 and 160 which one you think i should smoke to? Also, I've seen some people do an ice bath, some poach after smoking, and some hang in the basement. What do you do?

The hanging post smoke is to further dry the sausage . I would take them to 152 internal temp . Then cool them down with cold water and some ice to under 100 degrees . Dry them off and cool rest of way on the counter , then into the fridge in a paper bag if you have one . If you use plastic leave it open . Don't run your smoker higher than 165 , 170 tops .

If you want a tangy snack stick, you can use the F-LC culture to ferment the links and drop the pH. Or, you can use encapsulated Citric Acid powder (ECA), Buttermilk, Buttermilk powder to get the tang without using a culture and doing the fermentation step.

I actually have some goose and pork jalapeno and cheese snack sticks that I am fermenting using Bactoferm Flavor of Italy culture. I'm using it becasue it is the fastest culture I have; should get a pH drop in 18-36 hours. F-LC would have been a better choice but I do not have any on hand. There are faster cultures available as well from Chr Hansen.

I am cold smoking and fermenting all in one step, though I plan to heat the links in the smokehouse to cook them after fermentation, then I will dry them in my drying chamber. Should reach 40-45% weight loss in about 7 days or so...

*Edit to add:
I added the culture to drop the pH to a safe level. I am drying them to 40-45% weight loss in order to have a shelf stable product that I can store without refrigeration or freezing.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! I ended up using the Hank Shaw recipe. Seems real similar to yours I think, they all seem about the same lol. I've read 150 and 160 which one you think i should smoke to? Also, I've seen some people do an ice bath, some poach after smoking, and some hang in the basement. What do you do?
Actually I rarely get it past 152 to 155 because that last few degrees takes forEVER LOL!
I only hang after stuffing to let it dry tacky. I use chopsaw's paper bag method. I don't bother with ice, just cold water.
Some pics just for kicks....
IMG_2476.JPG IMG_2399.JPG IMG_2477.JPG IMG_2480.JPG
You've gotten me in the mood to make kabanosy!

dang wish i'd seen these replies last night. phone got wet on the window sill and is kaput, that is my only internet source lol. well i ground everything and stuffed them with my kitchen aid and holy moley i cant wait to get a big meat grinder. took absolutely forever. and stuffing them did too (i have an actual sausage stuffer but dont have a small enough attachment for 19 mm). so i didnt get them into the smoker til so late, and when i checked em at 10:30 before bed they were only at 130. so i put the timer on for another 2 hours and meant for hubby to check em but he fell asleep lol. so im not positive what temp they got up to. anyway, tasted em this morning and thought they were so lightly salted i thought maybe id forgotten to put salt in... still not sure what happened there. im thinking maybe i looked at another measurement when putting salt in or osmething. the texture just didn't taste right maybe because it needed to dry further but i wasn't sure. id seen one guy poached his so decided just to be on the safe side i'd poach them in extra salty water. did one as an experiment and it tasted much much better. I kept the water at 170 so not to heat them too much. put the rest into the water and left them in just a minute to long and the fat melted :emoji_tired_face:oh well they still taste pretty good.i sure have lots to learn!and need to keep a more careful eye on measurements apparently lol.next time i'll smoke to the low 50's.

indiaswamp- i was wondering if i could add culture and then just ferment inside the smoking chamber. thats what you do? i love tangy sausages! was originally planning on a slim jim or summer sausage or pepperoni but didn't realize i needed beef lol.

indiaswamp- i was wondering if i could add culture and then just ferment inside the smoking chamber. thats what you do? i love tangy sausages! was originally planning on a slim jim or summer sausage or pepperoni but didn't realize i needed beef lol.
You can if you cold smoke the while fermenting and the temp. of the smokehouse is in the temp. range of the culture you are using. Some cultures prefer ambient temps.; some like higher temps (110-115*F). I use an Amazin Smokin Tube. My smokehouse is 36cu.ft. so it will only raise the temp. inside the smokehouse about 4-5*F. With ambient temps. in the upper 80's to lower 90's I could cold smoke while the links fermented.

You don't HAVE to have beef....you can make all pork. It's just not traditional. I have made all pork pepperoni before.

Last edited:
i fermented some sausages in a clear plastic tub once, worked pretty well i think though i dont have a ph meter to check. its the humidity id be worried about fermenting in my smoker, wouldnt it be pretty dry in there? lol no idea how to control that. borrowing a friends bradley smoker, so temperature is super easy!

i fermented some sausages in a clear plastic tub once, worked pretty well i think though i dont have a ph meter to check. its the humidity id be worried about fermenting in my smoker, wouldnt it be pretty dry in there? lol no idea how to control that. borrowing a friends bradley smoker, so temperature is super easy!
All you need to do is put a pan of water in the smoker. It helps if you drape a cloth over a rack 4-6" above the pan of water and let the cloth sit in the water. The cloth will take up the water and it will evaporate easier. You should get 90%+ RH....

BTW, I want to make it clear that fermenting in a smoker is done with the unit off and using the ambient temp. as is, or using a controller with a heat source like a heating pad, hot plate, or even a light bulb in a tin can.

The smoking is done with an auxillary smoke generator like an AMPS or AMNPT to keep the smoker temp. down low in the fermentation range of the culture you are using.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky