Just got my first "REAL" smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

madc0w2000

Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Got me an Oklahoma Joe Highland, still putting it together.  Very anxious to start smoking!!!

I always love it when someone buys a stick burner. The flavor that they have been producing will surely change for the better.

Welcome aboard as a OkJ highland owner myself I can say your gonna love this unit, but it does need some minor mods.  Sealing up the firebox and smoke chamber is a must, best to do it now while your putting it together, you'll also need to do a good seasoning before your first cook, simple spray it with pam or use some kind of veg oil inside and out and burn it hot 300 degree for a hour or so will do it, wipe down the outside when done after it cools down and your good to go.

I added a deflector plate to mine from BBQSmokermods (link below) and it really made a big difference in evening out the heat across the cook area.  The other thing that is a must have is a Maverick temp unit, I have the 733 and love it, monitoring the internal temps of the meat and the cook chamber at the grate level remotely makes smoking so much easier.  They make a newer 735 now with bluetooth and works with your phone, but frankly the 733 is hard to beat.

some tips: You'll fine it is pretty hard to maintain any temps using just charcoal, this unit really is design to use wood, I put a small pile of charcoal to start with just to make a good coal bed and get the wood going good, usually getting the fire going a good hour to hour and a half before putting any food on, takes that long to get stable temp and good fire going and to heat this thing up good.  Usually do half full starter of charcoal, after about 20 mins dump them in the firebox put two split of wood on top of coal bed (what ever flavor, I like apple) leave all the vents and dampers cook lid and firebox lid open until it burning pretty good and the harsh smoke stops (about 10 to 15 mins) then close both lids (CC, FB) FB vent open full, until the temps come up to 225 or so, you can then close down your FB vent to a quarter open or so it should hold around 240.  This is where you'll need to learn how much open/close and the amount of wood needed to hold temps, will depend on your smoker, they all different, but should be right around those times. I usually add one split every 45 min to an hour, best to put your next split on top of the FB to warm up, they start better that way.  Top of the FB is usually around 200 degree, you can cook stuff on it ..lol..that should get you going pretty well, came to the right place plenty of help available here, good luck and welcome again...send us pics

http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/ok-hor-tune-hl.htm

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky