Just converted from charcoal to propane.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KX9M

Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
Sussex, Wisconsin
Hi gang, I smoked all last year with charcoal in my homebrew smoker... Not a real problem but, got tired of having to "re-load" frequently...

Just wanted to share with you all my little project for today... I installed a low pressure burner(Amazon) in the "stand" from an old turkey fryer that used to have a high pressure burner in it for the oil.. Added also a needle valve.. Not a problem really except for coming up with all the fittings to make the transitions from flare to NPT and back/etc. I took off my carpenter hat for a while and put on the plumbers hat.. Wasn't a great fit but, I seemed to pull it of OK... Anyways, just wanted to share a few pics and I'll follow up real soon with news about my first smoke on propane.. BTW, the long nipple pictured puts the valve and hose outside the smoker...

The rest of the parts came from the local hardware store...

Only thing I'm still questioning is I'm still planning on using the high pressure regulator from the turkey fryer. I'm guessing the new needle valve helps with the mismatch...?? Thoughts?? I'll buy a different regulator if you all think that would be wise...

Some pics:
20180317_134059.jpg

20180317_134047.jpg

20180317_135239.jpg

20180317_134139.jpg

Last edited:
Low pressure burner uses a low pressure orifice. Low pressure is 11" WTC (water column) and it's less than 0.5PSI, actually it is ~0.39 psi. High pressure regulators are made for high pressure burners with a high pressure orifice to get the gas/air mixture correct. If you run high pressure through a low pressure orifice, the air mixture will not be correct and your flame will not burn clean, you will get a lot of yellow flame and carbon monoxide. You will also waste propane. You will have a much finer control over your flame using a low pressure regulator.

From your pics. it looks like you have a Kajun Cooker low pressure burner. It is an 18,000 BTU burner. I have the same one and use a low pressure regulator with a needle valve. I can control the flame so my smokehouse runs from 100* all the way to 285*.

How many cu. ft. is you smokehouse? Mine is 36cuft.

Reactions: KX9M
Awesome!! Advice well taken !! I have no problem getting the proper regulator!! They don't look like they're SUPER easy to come by but, I'll get one no doubt!

Yes, it's a King Kooker WKAFB burner from Amazon. And the needle valve I got is a Bayou Classic.

My smokehouse ended up a little smaller... It's approximately 26cuft....

Last edited:
Awesome!! Advice well taken !! I have no problem getting the proper regulator!! They don't look like they're SUPER easy to come by but, I'll get one no doubt!

Yes, it's a King Kooker WKAFB burner from Amazon. And the needle valve I got is a Bayou Classic.

My smokehouse ended up a little smaller... It's approximately 26cuft....
Your range may be higher than mine using the stock burner as is. You may need to plug some of the burner holes to lower the BTU's. you'll have to run it and see how low you can go. If you need to plug holes, use 4D nails, they fit perfectly in the holes but you'll need to cut them down with cutters.

I plug the outer holes to half the BTU's when I am smoking sausages. this allows me to run half the holes at a higher flame which increases temp control and lessens flame blow out.
DSC02520.JPG

DSC02522.JPG

Reactions: KX9M
BTW, I use a 15" cast iron pan as a diffuser plate and wood tray. you can use a little charcoal too which will help with the smoke flavor profile.

Got it @ Wally world...like $12 bucks...

BTW, I use a 15" cast iron pan as a diffuser plate and wood tray. you can use a little charcoal too which will help with the smoke flavor profile.

Got it @ Wally world...like $12 bucks...
Mighty fine looking smoker you have there. The home builds like that are always interesting to follow. Keep us posted.
Alan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky