Just a Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I’m getting warmed up for a tri-tip Saturday and thought a little practice was in order. Whole shopping, we are picked up a one pound ribeye for a test. I only got one, I didn’t want to ruin two!

Since it is a flavorful cut of meat, I decided to go simple. I used Morton’s Sea Salt and dry brined it for about four hours, uncovered in the fridge. I warmed up the smoker to 220 and got the tray smoking with hickory.

0CA23355-993F-47E1-937F-0A59435B8387.jpeg

I have been having trouble with the tray in my FrankinBuilt propane smoker. Either it is going out or on fire. A tube should arrive tomorrow for testing. I understand now that tubes are a better choice for propane smokers.

I used a paper towel to wipe off any residual salt, then applied a light dusting of Hard Core Carnivore Black. I pulled it at 115, wrapped and let it sit for ten minutes. I had the grill going full blast and seared it two minutes per side.

I pulled it, let it rest a bit, then sliced. Damn, I should have bought two. It was moist and so very favorable. I got the rub and smoke just right. It got four “This is really, really good” from Mrs. Smoke.

I also had some nuts in the smoker prior to the ribeye as another test. I put in some salted mixed nuts and some unsalted nuts that were bought by mistake. For the unsalted nuts, I added a slight amount of oil and coated them with some finely ground brown sugar rub. I need to taste them tomorrow when I haven’t been sampling meat and rubs all evening. My first impression is they are pretty tasty.

I wish all of my tests were this good!

Last edited:
Look's very tasty indeed ! Is that the Carnivore Black ? Haven't been able to find it locally yet.

That looks great! Perfect color and really juicy. Nice work. Can't wait to see that Tri Tip.

That is perfect for me. Wife needs almost no pink., so a quick sear of those slices would satisfy her.

Screw the tri-tip. Do a couple of rib eyes
I type that as Tri-Tip is an obscure cut in my part of the Midwest. When found, It is the the price range of (IMHO) better cuts of beef.

She's a beauty. Perfectly done.

Point for sure
Chris

That steak looks perfect! And glad you mentioned the smoked nuts, need to do some when I smoke cheese next time, I've never done them before. How long did you smoke the nuts for?

Ryan

That looks Perfect, Old Smoke!!
Nice Job!
Like.
One change I would make----I would use the Tri Tip to practice for the Ribeye!!
However it doesn't look like you need any practice!!!

Bear

Reactions: HalfSmoked
That is perfect for me. Wife needs almost no pink., so a quick sear of those slices would satisfy her.

Screw the tri-tip. Do a couple of rib eyes
I type that as Tri-Tip is an obscure cut in my part of the Midwest. When found, It is the the price range of (IMHO) better cuts of beef.
Same here. If I do finally see a Tri-tip, it's sitting next to the ribeye at the same price... I really have to be in the mood for the flavor of a tri-tip to give up a select ribeye.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky