Help with marinade!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
Finally pulled the trigger on the Cosori 10 tray dehydrator. Once you go down the internet rabbit hole, it’s hard to make a decision! All it takes is a bad review and you start doubting your potential purchase. Drives me nuts.
What is the typical marinating time for beef jerky? I know there are tons of recipes. Some say 8 hours, others 2 days?

I'm an overnighter as well, but if I don't plan it well, I have a vacuum tumbler that helps. BUT, the overnight soak, with a few flips now and then, is always the winner for us.

I guess it depends on the concentration of the marinade but I did mine overnight and the flavors were overpowering.
I used one mixture off the internet and two that were offered with the Corsi rig I bought.
I did sweet and hot Chinese and a garlic soy honey based mixture plus a pepper soy based mixture.
Only thing that kept me from tossing it all in the trash was thinking of the money I spent on pre-sliced round steaks and marinade ingredients.
I had to "cook" it in two batches but after the first came out, I tried to wash and rinse the marinade off the rest.
Helped a little but still overpowering, so next time I'm going to water down the marinade or just soak the meat for a few hours.
Still would like to know how the gunshow sellers achieve thick chunks that are tender.
MIne were dry cardboard.

I guess it depends on the concentration of the marinade but I did mine overnight and the flavors were overpowering.
I used one mixture off the internet and two that were offered with the Corsi rig I bought.
I did sweet and hot Chinese and a garlic soy honey based mixture plus a pepper soy based mixture.
Only thing that kept me from tossing it all in the trash was thinking of the money I spent on pre-sliced round steaks and marinade ingredients.
I had to "cook" it in two batches but after the first came out, I tried to wash and rinse the marinade off the rest.
Helped a little but still overpowering, so next time I'm going to water down the marinade or just soak the meat for a few hours.
Still would like to know how the gunshow sellers achieve thick chunks that are tender.
MIne were dry cardboard.
tender comes from not over drying it. i smoke or "dry " and fully cook mine in the smoker. run it at 160-180 for 3-4 hours and my jerky is done and tender. if you dry it too much its just becomes unbearable. that's the reason i cook at a higher temp and not rely on the dehydration process for safety

ive marinated for over a few days i think it gets better with time personally.... my salt is always measured out along with all other spices so its never over salty, i also use cure for color and flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky