Jerky question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sarex

Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
I am making beef jerky for the first time. I will be using a dehydrator. Everything I have read up to now says splurg out the jerky from the gun then put it into the dehydrator. However I have read in a recent book that you should cook it in a low oven first. What does everyone think.

Reactions: Budgies Jerky
I haven't used a jerky gun a long time but back when I did I remember
mixing all ingredients in a large bowl filling the gun then I would give
my trays a VERY LIGHT coating of non stick and load em' up. I do
rotate the trays every so often to get an even doneness but I have
never used the oven for jerky. IMHO If you are planning on using your
oven then I would just do all right there no need for the dehydrator.
You can set the oven on the lowest setting and put something in the
door to keep it cracked open a little and dry it right there.

Many thanks for the reply. That straightens things for me, I will skip the oven.

Hey Sarex , just like smokinal said make sure your mixture has the right amount
of cure #1 . If you are using a store bought brand it has everything you need ,
just follow the instructions . If you are doing your own mix I suggest asking
the good folks here for some info on meat to cure ratios. When I make jerky I
either use a store brand of I do a marinade and soak method

Hey Sarex , just like smokinal said make sure your mixture has the right amount
of cure #1 . If you are using a store bought brand it has everything you need ,
just follow the instructions . If you are doing your own mix I suggest asking
the good folks here for some info on meat to cure ratios. When I make jerky I
either use a store brand of I do a marinade and soak method
I forgot to add I am making my first batch out of ground beef

The FDA has NEW suggestions for making jerky due to pathogens... If you use a marinade, cook the meat in the marinade.. 165 F, then into the dehydrator to dry....
If you have dried the meat, into your oven at 275 to kill the pathogens...
If you use cure#1, do not heat it in the marinade... the cure breaks down.. add it to the marinade after the 165 F cook, when it cools down...

The FDA has NEW suggestions for making jerky due to pathogens... If you use a marinade, cook the meat in the marinade.. 165 F, then into the dehydrator to dry....
If you have dried the meat, into your oven at 275 to kill the pathogens...
If you use cure#1, do not heat it in the marinade... the cure breaks down.. add it to the marinade after the 165 F cook, when it cools down...
Thanks got that. I think I will give the cure a miss

I am making beef jerky for the first time. I will be using a dehydrator. Everything I have read up to now says splurg out the jerky from the gun then put it into the dehydrator. However I have read in a recent book that you should cook it in a low oven first. What does everyone think.

I wouldnt use an oven at all but that is just my opinion. I also use whole muscle meat. Am going to try mincing some beef up soon though and see what that is like. I always use "Cure" unless Im making Biltong. "Cure" usage rates vary, so make sure you follow directions on the packaging, or, do some research into the particular brand that you plan to use. Take some photos and show us how it turns out.
WP_20171006_10_41_04_Rich_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldnt use an oven at all but that is just my opinion. I also use whole muscle meat. Am going to try mincing some beef up soon though and see what that is like. I always use "Cure" unless Im making Biltong. I use 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of No 1, for 4lbs of whole muscle meat. Take some pics and show us how it turns out. View attachment 350063
2T plus 1t =7t of cure for 4lbs of meat. The recomended amount is 1t of cure#1 for 5 lbs of meat.

We used to do jerky in the oven as you describe but since buying our new oven we can't. The oven shuts off anytime the door is cracked open. We got a dehydrator and it all tastes the same as when done in the oven.

The cure I use is obviously different than the cure #1 that you get in the US, as the measurement I stated is what is recommended here in Australia. Maybe I should have mentioned that measurements could vary and to follow the directions on the packaging. My apologies

The cure I use is obviously different than the cure #1 that you get in the US, as the measurement I stated is what is recommended here in Australia. Maybe I should have mentioned that measurements could vary and to follow the directions on the packaging. My apologies
I thought that might be a possibility but didnt have free time to research. Thought it best to post what is the norm here so noone gets misinformed.

Thanks for that clarification.... We do have NON members cruise the forum and I would guess, they take some stuff verbatim... which you and I know is not a good idea.... There could be circumstances, like living down under, that translate differently.....
Would you mind editing your original post to reflect that difference so someone doesn't get screwed up...

I would appreciate it... Dave

Reactions: Budgies Jerky

I presume you are using as lean of hamburger as you can find? And proportioned Prague Powder per weight? 1/4 tsp per pound of lean ground beef. Then flavor it to your liking.

While I'm not new to making Jerky, I do have a new dehydrator.
It sez to put the jerky in the oven at 275 for ten minutes when it is done.
That is to sterilize it. I didn't care for that batch.
I tested my >new< dehydrator and when set at 165 degrees F, it actually settles at 170-171. So according to what I've seen here, there, and other where's, my jerky is pretty sterile when done. (I run it at top temperature for the whole run. And prefer mine kind of well done anyway.)

Oh, and I'm a squisher, not a squirter. I made a form now, and use a flat bottomed pan over a small ball of mixed meat.
(In a cut baggie.) Makes "pucks" of ground beef Jerky, or Jerky Cookies, if you will. ;)
I kinda like the method. So I've swerved away from a Jerky gun.
If I did have a gun, I'd probably just make weird lookin jerky with it. Like trays of spiral jerky, or stick figures. After it's eaten it doesn't matter anyway.

I favor a traditional flavor, peppery, and found I like 1/2 tsp of Cyan pepper, and 1/4 tsp of smoked Paprika, Per Pound, to give it some 'afterburn'. Those two things are probably enough to kill any bacteria by themselves.
Although, my dog likes it. So it can't be all that bad.

So far I'm still alive (so is the dog). So maybe I'm lucky.

Reactions: dan the mano
I wouldnt use an oven at all but that is just my opinion. I also use whole muscle meat. Am going to try mincing some beef up soon though and see what that is like. I always use "Cure" unless Im making Biltong. "Cure" usage rates vary, so make sure you follow directions on the packaging, or, do some research into the particular brand that you plan to use. Take some photos and show us how it turns out. View attachment 350063

That looks like Heaven to me!

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from windy and cold day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky