Jalapeno cheddar sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
About 2.5kg ground pork butt ground through a 4.5mm plate.
1673228301383.png

Spices/cure
1673228360944.png

Diced jalapenos

1673228434238.png

Tilamook sharp cheddar
1673228516413.png

Mixed up till it's nice and tacky
1673228585639.png

Stuffed in 32/35mm hog casings (yeah, there is a blowout there, but I culled that one).
1673228709670.png

After an overnight rest in the fridge, smoked for color with a blend of cherry/pecan (50/50)
1673228878385.png

1673228934524.png

Into the SV for the finish.
1673229035093.png

1673229088391.png

1673229117246.png

I won't post the exact recipe since it was shared with me privately, but I've done these several times and they are awesome! EDIT: Recipe posted in post #6 (with permission).

Last edited:
That’s all some nice work. Great looking sausage. Sure hoping you get a chance to build a smokehouse, this year?

Reactions: DougE
The recipe, posted with permission from where I got it.

This is per Kg (2.2lbs) ground pork:

Sharp cheddar cheese) 130g (I use Tillamook Sharp cheddar Farm style)
Diced or pickled jalapeño) 70g
Granulated garlic) 3.0g
Salt) 1.5%
Cure #1) 0.25%
Black pepper) 2.0g (I usually use white pepper)
Sugar) 2.5g
Marjoram) 1.0g
Ground Mace) 1.0g

DRKsmoking DRKsmoking I think you once asked my recipe on these sausages, so here you go :)

The recipe, posted with permission from where I got it.

This is per Kg (2.2lbs) ground pork:

Sharp cheddar cheese) 130g (I use Tillamook Sharp cheddar Farm style)
Diced or pickled jalapeño) 70g
Granulated garlic) 3.0g
Salt) 1.5%
Cure #1) 0.25%
Black pepper) 2.0g (I usually use white pepper)
Sugar) 2.5g
Marjoram) 1.0g
Ground Mace) 1.0g

DRKsmoking DRKsmoking I think you once asked my recipe on these sausages, so here you go :)

Thank you Doug for this , funny I am picking up my new grinder today from Cabela's.
Very nice of you to remember
Thanks Doug

David

Thank you Doug for this , funny I am picking up my new grinder today from Cabela's.
Very nice of you to remember
Thanks Doug
You're more than welcome, David. It's a really nicely balanced recipe I use often.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I wonder how using CANDIED jalapeno would taste?

I have almost a dozen half-pint jars of candied jalapenos just WAITING for a use other than on top of crackers/cream cheese!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I wonder how using CANDIED jalapeno would taste?

I have almost a dozen half-pint jars of candied jalapenos just WAITING for a use other than on top of crackers/cream cheese!
I dunno, try a small batch and see how it works out.

I dunno, try a small batch and see how it works out.

After supper tonight, buddy!

Took the meat out of the freezer last night after reading your recipe!

ETA - gonna do 1lb with raw jalapenos and 1lb with candied...gonna be goooooooood!

After supper tonight, buddy!

Took the meat out of the freezer last night after reading your recipe!

ETA - gonna do 1lb with raw jalapenos and 1lb with candied...gonna be goooooooood!
Excellent! I have been doing mine with canned diced japs marked hot, but there really isn't much heat. I've been aiming to do some with fresh diced.

Excellent! I have been doing mine with canned diced japs marked hot, but there really isn't much heat. I've been aiming to do some with fresh diced.

I picked up the raw jalapenos and a block of Tillamook (?) today.

Now if I can amange to get them seeded/de-veined without putting my fingers near my eyes, I'll be golden! :emoji_wink:

I picked up the raw jalapenos and a block of Tillamook (?) today.

Now if I can amange to get them seeded/de-veined without putting my fingers near my eyes, I'll be golden! :emoji_wink:
Careful touching down low' too. Let's just say I have set myself on fire in places where it wasn't overly fun after handling fresh jalapenos lol.

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
Careful touching down low' too. Let's just say I have set myself on fire in places where it wasn't overly fun after handling fresh jalapenos lol.

Back when I used to make soap, I decided to make a menthol soap as it was summer and I thought it would feel nice and cool on my skin after showering.

Let's just say it wasn't so cool and leave it at that!

Probably shouldn't tell this, but a long time ago, I was fixing something with fresh jalapenos out of the garden. The meal was perfect. So, later on me and the wife go to bed and get to doing well, you know. She says, "I'm hot". I say, "yes, that's the whole point." She says, "no, not that kind of hot, I'm on fire down there". Well, I found the situation way more amusing than she did. A week or two later is when I did it to myself, which she found way more amusing than I did. Paybacks are hell! Needless to say, I always wear gloves when handling hot peppers.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky