ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND POLISH SAUSAGE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pop-pop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Allentown Pa.
Evening all,
So I have a coworker who wants me to make some FRESH SAUSAGE . So I have mixed and stuffed ITALIAN sausage before ( no smoking just stuff and freeze ) my question is what blend of meat should I use ? the last time I did this I used straight pork loin that I grinded but i'm not sure if this was correct. it tasted OK but I want this to be perfect cause he makes AMAZING MICRO BEER!! that he gives in exchange ! I have made him my bacon and ring bologna that he raved about so I don't want to disappoint with other things. Also I don't know what blend to use for polish sausage? I use CABELAS blend kits in case it matters. TIA for any info

Loin is quite lean, so you need to add some fat; e.g., 15%-20% pork belly.
I use butt or picnic, since those cuts have a good meat:fat ratio for sausage making
For Polish white sausage, you can use 10% beef (i use 100% pork, though).

Spice mix for 1000g meat:
-salt 18g.
-pepper (i use black, but white is also good)2g.
-marjoram 2g.
-garlic powder 2.0 (or one small fresh clove).
-Water 80-100g.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
Loin is very lean. Add 20% pork fat, or just use a pork butt. Those are almost perfect for fat/meat ratio.
Cabelas sausage mixes are made by PS seasonings, just so you know. Look them up. It’s great stuff.

kielbasa is pretty garlicky, majoram-y, pimento-y, clovey

even if using a kit, u could play around with ur spice rack a little.. maybe a little dill and terragon to compliment the marjoram while sharing the anise quality of the clove, maybe roast a little of the garlic or peppers (or use some smoked paprika besides just sweet, maybe chipotle or powdered anchos), etc

Reactions: SmokyMose
pork butt is king.....
Best is a pinch or two from everywhere.. some ham, some butt, some loin... Whoever needs or deserves it should get at least one of the cheeks..

My favorites the spare meat that gets trimmed off for STLs and sold as rib tips, if I just had to pick my desert island cut

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky