Italian beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Hi all,
Over the weekend I wanted Italian beef. So, I rummaged through the freezer. And found I didn't have any butt. Or bottom round. Only top round and chuckies. I decided to try a 4 pound top round.
P4090278.JPG

Into the crock pot she goes. Only with SPOG, bay leaves, jar of pepperoncini, med. onion, 2 packs Italian dressing mix. I didn't have a small can of diced tomatoes. But, I had a can of rotel. Into the pot that went. This pic is after 10 hours on low. I went 12 hours total.

P4090282.JPG
The rotel added a touch of heat that worked well with this. I'll be doing it this way from now on! The top round worked great with this. I was concerned about how it would pull. But it fell apart like a chuck roast.

Just WOW Steve

That description and the second picture is just perfect, so after the 12 hour on low it all just broke/cooked down to be able to fill up a bun and not too runny.

This is just fast tracked to the top 10 on my list of must try . ( I love throwing Rotel into thinks )

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Heck yea Steve. I'll two plates of that. Man that looks awesome.
Thanks Dave!

Just WOW Steve

That description and the second picture is just perfect, so after the 12 hour on low it all just broke/cooked down to be able to fill up a bun and not too runny.

This is just fast tracked to the top 10 on my list of must try . ( I love throwing Rotel into thinks )

David
Thanks David! Yup, not runny at all. It shredded just like a brisket.

Wow Steve does that look good. Going on the list. Those fries look off the charts good.
Thanks Brian!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks good Steve

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great Steve . A favorite around here . The top and bottom round cuts are great and outshine the EOR in my opinion .
Another one to look for at GFS , Bottom round flat .

Looks good Steve

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!

Looks great Steve . A favorite around here . The top and bottom round cuts are great and outshine the EOR in my opinion .
Another one to look for at GFS , Bottom round flat .
Thanks! I didn't know that top round would work for this. I do now!

Those sandwiches look great, Steve!!

I like Rotel in some dishes for this same reason...just enough heat sometimes...
Thanks Charles!

Love the sandwiches! and of course the fries, too! Thanks for sharing, now I'm hungry!

Kim
Lol! Thanks Kim!

Oh man that looks great. Got plans for pulled chuckie sammichs for saturday. You got me drooling for them already.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky