It ain't pretty, but it was free!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burrito

Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Got me a new smoker. It was from our hunting lease. I asked the guy we're leasing from if he cared about keeping it. He said no, take it. It was pretty ugly. It had been painted silver, but surface rust on the bottom half. The firebox was nothing but rust color. I grabbed me 2 cans of high heat black grill paint and went to town. Need to go back and do a second coat, when it's not raining or windy. I used it 3 times while it was at the lease. 2 packer briskets, and 1 rack of spareribs. It did well. Fire control was a bit of an issue, because the firebox door does not shut unless you wedge a stick between the door and the ground. Not hard though, once I learned. At first I was just leaving it slightly open, but that was causing the firebox to not hold heat, and the fire to burn up quickly. Anyways, take a look. Tell me what you think. Notice that inside the pit, there is a platform on the right half, which helps deflect the direct heat from the firebox. I've also used it to build a fire on when grilling. Another plus, the cylinder part of the pit is 3/8" thick and the sides are 1/4" thick. About gave me, my dad, and brother a hernia trying to load it in the pickup.

Nice score...free is always good!!
tongue.gif

Burrito, that's one heck of a cool smoker. Just for the steel-thickness it was worth jumping on...But, that cool pulley system lid-rig takes the prize! Well done!

Congrats on your new smoker. Looking forward to seeing it operate.

Looks like you've got a worthy project my friend. it's all good.

free is always good, I would probably have to do something about the legs or make it a built in with some field stone or bricks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky