Is this spoiled or what happened?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toogs

Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I've made bacon a couple dozen times and never seen anything like this. Today is day 9 on the cure but this brown/gray discoloration started earlier and I was just hoping it would go away. It smells okay but I am concerned, this is for a family reunion and I would prefer not to make my whole family sick. In addition to the color, the meat is not as firm as I would expect at this point. Perhaps I undercured it. I'm also using Costco pork belly for the first time.

Attachments

• 20230722_103650.jpg
    20230722_103650.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 29
The difference in color is usually from oxidation . The sections that stayed pink were touching something and did not get any air .
Take another picture where you're not casting a shadow on the meat . Might gave a better idea , but I'd say you're ok .

Hmm, interesting. I did notice that the bag had a hole in it, a couple days into the cure, so it may have been exposed to a lot more air. A different piece in a different bag came out fine, although it was also a different brand of meat. Are these pics better? The dog thinks it smells fine lol.

Attachments

• 20230722_114214.jpg
    20230722_114214.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230722_114210.jpg
    20230722_114210.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: jcam222
I agree with Chop, sure looks like oxidation to me which is normal. To see for your self get a sharp knife and just skin the top off a small section of the brown and you will see a nice red color underneath. Btw, the off color will all go away if hot smoked or when pan fried.

Great, thanks both of you. I just sliced some off and as you said it's red underneath. I fried the piece I skimmed off and it turned pink almost immediately in the pan.
Day after follow-up, I had no GI rebellion to eating this, so I think we are good to go!

Day after follow-up, I had no GI rebellion to eating this, so I think we are good to go!
Just remember in the future that blotching when curing can be normal weather it’s in a plastic bag or even in a cover brine. Trust the process with a known recipe.

Reactions: toogs
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky