Is a chilli without beans still a chilli ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeotee

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
North Central Iowa
The wife and i have a long time errrrr, difference of opinion. I say you can make a chilli without beans, she says that without beans it isn't a chilli.

This all came about because i can't eat beans, sometimes i break out in fits of vomiting if accidentaly ingest some.
I make a chilli and she calls it burrito filling
icon_cry.gif

I'm keen to see what the concensus of opinion is with people here.

Real chili DOES NOT HAVE BEANS!! If you were to use beans in a "chili cook off" you would be bounced out

As I understand it, beans didn't start to appear in chili until around the depression days when meat wasn't affordable to most. I don't think Texas chile has beans either.

From what I have heard chili started as just chunks of meat simmered with chili peppers, no beans or tomatoes. I guess the cowboys used to be given the brisket, since it wasnt good for anything else, and they would cut it up and simmer it with chili peppers. But to me chili has to have beans.

It's called "chili con carnie". Translation is chilies with meat. Nowhere in there is the word "bean" mentioned. Real chili does not contain beans. I'm in Texas, believe me.
Jimbo

Thanks for all the replies. Hey Nav thanks :-). Figured we'd have at least a couple of texans reply to this one.

I have often asked her is there a reason you put beans in, do they add flavour ? she tells me "no they don't" ..... so why put the damn things in then
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

We did get to see the chilli cook off at the Iowa state fair last year, not a bean in sight.

I haven't experimented too much with my chilli, i know mine makes awesome chilli cheese fries and to quote whoever said it - "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Although some days i may try a different blend, normally when we are out of something and i have to wing it.

In my youth, I rented a room from a mexican family and they made chili with meat and red sauce. What I particularly loved was eating with homemade tortillas torn and cupped as an eating utensil. No spoons or beans.

LOL, you can tell its cold outside. We have the same arquement going on the Florida Sportsman thread that I moderate.
Beans were used as filler during lean times of little to no meat. Guess it stuck as alot people like it with beans. Beans are good for you and quite healthy. I like it with beans, but can eat it anyway I can get it and besides, any extra warmth in your pants, long after the meal, on a cold night is welcomed
icon_mrgreen.gif

OK, I'll hang my business out in the wind.....I put beans in my chili. I also put 'maters in there too. That's the way I like it, so that's how it gets done. I call meat and veggies without beans and maters....stew.

Now if we are talking about competition, that's a different story. As with all aspects of a competition, you are sometimes forced to cook things by "da rules". That doesn't mean you have to like it, but if you want to do well that's how it is. I'm guessing some of you cook your ribs differently at home than what you compete with.

It also goes without saying that food is very much a geographic culture. You say "tri-tip" I say "bottom sirloin"

my $0.02 (USD)

Texas Chili, has no beans. And, Texas Chili has no ground beef (It's cubed). It's my understanding that a lot of folks are using Tri-Tip, lately. But, interestingly, I found a website (I'll try to find it again and post a link) that had the winning recipes for some of the winning Chili Cook-Off recipes. And, I've cooked some of those recipes. I think they are made for a "Chili Cook-Off" only, as they are very rich, and very spicy. And, it appears that the Judges for the contest only eat a few spoonfulls. I haven't felt good about sitting down and eating a whole bowl of the stuff.

But, with that being said, I've found that age has lowered my "Chili Tolerance Level (CTL)", LOL. So, as a Texan (haven't lived there for 30 years), and I hate to say it, I do add some beans (homemade pintos), and maybe a can of tomatoes. You know..........to cut the heat, and get some fiber in the stuff. If I was in my 20s again (and, through prayer, that miracle may occur), I'd eat the stuff straight. But those days are long past. Hope to find that link for you guys.

Never had chili without beans (other than the hot dog kind). But I knew that 'real' chili has no beans. If you look up a recipe for a 'bowl of red' that is true chili. Why haven't I tried it?

Cincinnati Chili and Greek Chili don't have the beans in the chili. I believe those who want beans have to add them naked on top.
  • Two Way Chili is simply chili served over spaghetti
  • Three Way Chili is chili with the addition of shredded cheddar cheese
  • Four Way Chili means you add on chopped onions
  • Five Way Chili adds on red kidney beans

I love a good pot of pintos, and I will even put them in my chili from time to time, but real authentic chili has no beans in TX.
I guess its just what you prefer.
Beef
Oregano
Cumin
Salt
Onions
Garlic
Chili Powder
Paprika
Red Pepper
Masa

Lawdog

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky