Interested in Opinions/Reviews from Meater Owners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Purchased but I missed the Prime Day price. Still have a $20 off coupon so total price was $69. Will not be here til the end of August. The rotisserie will love it.
We'll be looking for your review in August then.
I too am interested in this style of thermo for the rotisserie. Hopefully, it doesn't suffer from the same limitations as the Meater.

I have had my Meater+ for just over a year. I have had some connection issues which is inherent to bluetooth devices. Not sure why after 20 year bluetooth still sucks... Anyway. overall I had been happy with it. The estimate to completion with the carry over temp is pretty good as long as you don't adjust the grill temp greatly near the end. But since my year warranty is up my Meater+ broke after the 98th use. The internals came lose and pulled out the barrel. Oh, and the barrel is quite large diameter compared to my other probes. Makes a big hole. Might try the new thermopro if I have no luck with customer support.

my Meater+ broke after the 98th use. The internals came lose and pulled out the barrel.
That is what really concerns me about this particular style of thermo. In addition to the fact that the the ambient portion of the thermo reads the temp in the cold air bubble surrouding the meat and not the actual chamber temp.

Purchased but I missed the Prime Day price. Still have a $20 off coupon so total price was $69. Will not be here til the end of August. The rotisserie will love it.

I'd love to hear your review of it after you've had it and used it!

Red

I have a Kettle spinner on my Wish list, and that’s really the only reason at present I might justify spending a Benjamin to get one. The positive reviews of the internal probe is good to hear, and you can always use one of your wired probes to get close to the meat to measure grill temp. But as sandyut sandyut said, maybe they should fix that issue or just eliminate it and don’t charge for it.

Rick

I have had my Meater + since December and have done about 6 cooks with it this far. For those not familiar with the features of the Meater + you get the extended range through use of the "Meater Cloud".

To get the full use of the extended range and Meater + you need to understand the hardware that's required and network structure that makes it all work together. Maybe I'm stupid, but I did not find a good explanation of any of this when I was setting up my Android phone with the Meater App.

Here is a diagram showing all the pieces needed to get the full capability out of your Meater +, that is, connection with your probe anywhere you have device connectivity to the wireless cell network.
1662149181184.jpeg

Those of you familiar with the Meater + will probably sort of recognize the screen shot below. The actual Meater + app will not look like this one. I edited it to show all the parts, and their names, that you will need for full remote monitoring of your cook.

The connection between the probe and the base unit is Bluetooth. For the most reliable connection, I found it works best to keep the base right by the grill, smoker, or oven (close to the probe).

The connection between the base unit and Smart Device 1 is also Bluetooth. Smart Device 1 can be a phone or a tablet. It will need to have the Meater App running on it and will need Bluetooth capability. Smart Device 1 also must have WIFI connectivity to your home WIFI LAN. I used an old Galaxy phone with WIFI connectivity but no service account for Device 1

The Home WIFI must have connection to the internet. You also need to set up a Meater Cloud Account. It is free, and just requires your email address.

The device you monitor your cook on needs to be a Android, Iphone or another Smart Device with a connection to the web via your cell carrier.I am using a Samsung Galaxy 8 for Device 2.

I was a little disappointed that non of the documentation with the Meater + explained any of this system architecture. Somewhere on the Meater web site there is probably a Utube video that explains it but I had to message customer service several times to get everything set up to get it all to work properly

Last edited:
I've owned both the Meater+ and the Block since the Kickstarter units shipped. Years later, all still working like a charm. I use them about every couple of weeks for smoking or sometimes bread baking.

I'm sure they will die sometime since nothing lasts forever. I know the # of imitators will keep growing, but I hope these original innovators will be competitive whenever I have to replace.

Reactions: BATMON
I’ve used my MEATER+ for just over 2 years. The Bluetooth range isn’t great. However, I now leave an old iPhone or iPad within 20 ft of the cook and via MEATERCloud I can view that status on my phone from anywhere I get Wi-Fi or cellular service. Using this work around I love the MEATER+ and use for every cook.
I bought the Meater when it first came out and had such range/connection issues that I haven't bothered to use it in years. As soon as I close the cover on the grill/smoker, I lose connection. I could leave an old iphone next to the grill, but, come on! Useless POS IMHO

I bought the Meater when it first came out and had such range/connection issues that I haven't bothered to use it in years. As soon as I close the cover on the grill/smoker, I lose connection. I could leave an old iphone next to the grill, but, come on! Useless POS IMHO

Where is the base/charger unit located while you are doing the cook? It needs to be within BT range of the probe and a closed lid on the smoker reduces the range considerably.
I leave the base/charger unit right next to the smoker or oven and the connection remains solid

Where is the base/charger unit located while you are doing the cook? It needs to be within BT range of the probe and a closed lid on the smoker reduces the range considerably.
I leave the base/charger unit right next to the smoker or oven and the connection remains solid
I've got the original Meater. The charging station is only that. It plays no role in connectivity. They claim a range of up to 10' if used in a smoker or grill. I got nowhere near that.

Reactions: processhead
I've got the original Meater. The charging station is only that. It plays no role in connectivity. They claim a range of up to 10' if used in a smoker or grill. I got nowhere near that.
I have to think that the Meater + was an attempt to address the range deficiencies of the original Meater. 10 foot range is only slightly more useful than a wired probe with a readout.

Reactions: pokey
They're still awfully expensive in my book. But pretty nice for rotisserie work, although if you have room on the non-motor end, some folks get pretty creative with bringing a wired probe out the shaft and strapping the transmitter to it so it rotates with the meat.

I have to think that the Meater + was an attempt to address the range deficiencies of the original Meater. 10 foot range is only slightly more useful than a wired probe with a readout.
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post on my experience which was the same as yours. I invested in Tappecue years ago and upgraded to their Touch version. When they released their wireless sensors it gave me an endless range using their app. It also connects via Bluetooth but if you have the Tappecue Touch base it will connect via wifi. It works great and is very accurate. Of course it comes with a cost but for those of us who like to smoke through the night and get alarms on temps getting out of range and also be able to sleep, the investment was worth it. They also have a komado control with blower. Great company and I've met the owner when she was a startup at the University of Kansas in Kansas City.

Hello Friends,

I've been considering purchasing a Meater Plus bluetooth thermometer...and wanting to solicit opinions and/or reviews from any of you who own and use these. I really like the idea of a totally wireless probe that measures both internal meat temps and ambient cooker temps without futzing with multiple probes and probe wires. I like my Maverick and my Inkbird, but it'd sure be nice to eliminate stringing probe wires out of my cooker.

To those who've owned and/or used these...what say you? How do you think they perform? Do you trust their accuracy? How user friendly is the app? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the device? Would you buy it again, or steer clear and find something else?

Thanks in advance!

Red
I just ordered the Meater 2 plus. Higher internal temp than the others and higher ambient. increased range of the Bluetooth. I’ve been waiting for these improvements for some time. I know several that have the originals and they love them. This new will blow the others away. I also use an inkbird i bbq-4t. That’s my go to for long cooks. Check out this link

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky