Integrated water/steam system on reverse flow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So I’m working on a new reverse flow concept and wanted to ask how many of you would use a water/steam system to add additional moisture during a cook if it was integrated and separate from the reverse flow plate?

Thoughts?

I think I remember some of the comp TV star guys running a steamer, was it Mixon?

I always put a pan of water on the bottom grate next to the firebox on my Lang. It adds moisture, but also evens out the side to side temps. I use a s/s welded drywall mud pan.
Al

I think I remember some of the comp TV star guys running a steamer, was it Mixon?

Yes Mixon has what they call the H20 smoker that is more like a vertical with a water pan between the fire and meat.

I always put a pan of water on the bottom grate next to the firebox on my Lang. It adds moisture, but also evens out the side to side temps. I use a s/s welded drywall mud pan.
Al

Good to know Al! Thanks! getting an evening heat and moisture is what I'm aiming for in my concept. The concept is also similar to the X-Fire in a way....It was an idea the came to me on a forever Zoom call and I can't get it out of my head.....so I am aiming to build another concept smoker over the winter.....in addition to the two normal RF's I'm building for sale at the farmers market.

Are you thinking of using a hydrometer to control the Rh? I'd be curious what you have in mind. I've always wanted to do something in a sausage smoker but never figured how to put a remote sensor in the smoky environment. But never really researched it either.

One of these days I will have a RF stick burner. I think I can see the benefit of additional steam but I have zero experience with them.
That being said, I might be interested in one of your builds...

My plan if I ever built a RF was to sides onto the plate, making the entire length into a water pan/heat sync. The pan would slope slightly to the middle with a 2" drain hole to the bottom for easy cleanout.

Never even thought about it until I read this thread . Interesting idea for sure .
Has me thinking .

a mister spraying on a hot surface of the smoker?
That's exactly what I thought of in a different direction . I steam and cover stuff all the time on the stove or Blackstone .
Has me thinking WSM with the thick plate like you use . Open the side door and squirt some water on the plate .

Reactions: motocrash
Interesting concept. Will this be a boiler injecting steam or a mister spraying on a hot surface of the smoker?

More like a boiler type system that you can fill from the outside.....I hadn’t thought about sensors and such as that means taking care of them.....but it has me thinking of an adjustable metering valve though, ie hot water onto supper hot plate.......and yes that is better than my original thought.....it also helps with corrosion concerns and such!!!!

My plan if I ever built a RF was to sides onto the plate, making the entire length into a water pan/heat sync. The pan would slope slightly to the middle with a 2" drain hole to the bottom for easy cleanout.

I already have what you are explaining but it causes too much cooling and too much steam. I want measured steam and controlled cooling

Are you thinking of using a hydrometer to control the Rh? I'd be curious what you have in mind. I've always wanted to do something in a sausage smoker but never figured how to put a remote sensor in the smoky environment. But never really researched it either.

I’m going to look into the sensors because I know they have some for harsh envioros but I would have it just read then manual adjust.

the concept is to have some inboard tanks to heat the water and retain heat then have a mentoring valve to release water into a steam tube to disperse it in a uniform way.

I’m still spit balling and sketch planning but will post some concept picks once it makes it into a concept.

Reactions: DanMcG
Never even thought about it until I read this thread . Interesting idea for sure .
Has me thinking .

That's exactly what I thought of in a different direction . I steam and cover stuff all the time on the stove or Blackstone .
Has me thinking WSM with the thick plate like you use . Open the side door and squirt some water on the plate .

chop, I hadn’t put a lot of thought to it but after seeing the Mixon H2O it got me thinking as I have been putting a lot of thought to this new build.

oh and all the new high end ovens have steam injectors in them no too

Reactions: chopsaw
One of these days I will have a RF stick burner. I think I can see the benefit of additional steam but I have zero experience with them.
That being said, I might be interested in one of your builds...

I like to engineer since I’m an engineer that does HR and contract stuff.....so the mind needs exercise....LOL. The build will be basic patio size out of old air tanks but the should cook good. I’ll let you know when they are done later this year!

Reactions: browneyesvictim
Just thinking out loud here .
Before we had hot water at deer camp my buddies would always heat water in a pot over a propane burner .
I made a set up with a hard copper coil in a small trash can . Inlet and outlet . I'd fire a charcoal chimney and dump it in the trash can , then pour water in the coil . Ran thru the heat and out into a bowl . Got steam at first , but after it settled down , was instant hot water .
Like I said , just thinking out loud , but might be an idea in there some where .
Also makes me think of PID controls on commercial building HVAC systems .

Reactions: motocrash
More like a boiler type system that you can fill from the outside.....I hadn’t thought about sensors and such as that means taking care of them.....but it has me thinking of an adjustable metering valve though, ie hot water onto supper hot plate.......and yes that is better than my original thought.....it also helps with corrosion concerns and such!!!!
I was tuning the heater offset on my latest machine build as I saw your post and thought hmm, controls.....
Heating 30 PSI nitrogen to 135* at the sprayer tip. Thermocouple is 2' away, upstream through PFA hose with red insulator and a bulkhead fitting.
Nitrogen and heater shut down for cooling in first pic. Startup threshold also has to be tuned.
Sprayer can be seen at center of glovebox with my temp rig slid on tip. Probe wire run through fume extractor plenum port.

1625174019938.png
1625174340903.png

• Wow
Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky