I'm dri-brining a couple of ribeyes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I've got them in the fridge uncovered. But the weather this afternoon/evening is looking iffy. I got a chance of severe storms. We were OK this morning but weatherman has moved the risk further my direction.

I want to put off these ribeyes till tomorrow. I'm gonna leave them in the fridge but don't know whether I should cover them or not ?

I would wrap them tight with plastic wrap , and put in a zip lock bag .

I've dry-brined tri tips overnight uncovered in the fridge with no problems. I've never overnighted rib-eyes. I only use a light dusting of whatever rub I use when I overnight. If you thick-coated them, you might want to brush some of it away or they might become too salty. Taste is subjective, though.

I worry about the drying effect on the connective tissue around the muscle groups . Especially at the cap . Just my opinion . A whole roast I wouldn't worry about .

I appreciate the replies. I dug out Aaron Franklin's steak book. I'd recalled he said something about salting steaks ( and all I've done is salt them ) and he says uncovered in the fridge. And he keeps them there up to 48 hours. So I will find out.

Reactions: chopsaw
I frequently age them 4-5 days, uncovered, on paper towels I change out every day after turning the steak. I also don’t salt them when I age them this way until a couple hours before I grill.

I dry brine mine all the time overnight. They will look dry and dark red when you pull them from the fridge.

Take them out of the fridge about an hour before you throw them on the grill to let them start to come to room temp. They'll cook up like normal.

Take them out of the fridge about an hour before you throw them on the grill to let them start to come to room temp.
Actually, that's an old wive's tale that needs to go away. I hear it repeated by TV chefs and YouTube'ers. The meat temp will only rise about 3F-7F in that hour. The larger the hunks of meat, the lower the rise. It's all about thermodynamics and heat transfer. Either way, meat won't get anywhere near room temp on the counter in an hour unless you keep your heater at 150F.

Next time you're going to grill a steak, test it with a meat probe. I have...on steaks, tri tips, poultry, etc. You can go straight from the fridge to the grill without wasting an hour for nothing.

Actually, that's an old wive's tale that needs to go away. I hear it repeated by TV chefs and YouTube'ers. The meat temp will only rise about 3F-7F in that hour. The larger the hunks of meat, the lower the rise. It's all about thermodynamics and heat transfer. Either way, meat won't get anywhere near room temp on the counter in an hour unless you keep your heater at 150F.

Next time you're going to grill a steak, test it with a meat probe. I have...on steaks, tri tips, poultry, etc. You can go straight from the fridge to the grill without wasting an hour for nothing.

That agrees with what Aaron Franklin says in his steak book. For the same reason you state.

Reactions: noboundaries
You can go straight from the fridge to the grill without wasting an hour for nothing.
Or straight from the freezer...

Reactions: noboundaries
My steaks turned out great. They were prime , from Sams. And they were very juicy. Found no problem with them sitting uncovered.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky