I used 1tblsp per pound with brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phreak

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 9, 2008
St Pete FL
I sliced up about 4.25 pounds of beef yesterday. Then I measured out 4.25 tblsp of TenderQuick to ad to a brine. The brine consists of mostly my BBQ sauce(ketchup based,sweet sauce), a small amount of teriaky sauce, and some worchestire sauce and water. Now I just read for bines I should use 1 cup TQ per 4 cups water...Is that correct?

If it is I'm pretty lucky because last batch I did 1tblsp/lb in a brine.

edit: It is still in the brine so if someone with more knowledge thinks I should add more TQ please let me know.

I would consider a brine a bucket full of brine solution to soak the meat in. That would be one cup or TQ to 4 cups of water. I don't think thats what your doing. If what you have is a concentrated amount of seasonings in a bag with the meat... I'd say stay with the 1 tablespoon per pound. That is what I would do with jerky anyway. Just enough of your seasoning to coat the jerky well and leave the water out.

I don't think I would add more now.Seams that dry rubs are 1TBS.per pound and Brines are more.Not sure how much more but it's written down somewhere.I'm doing a Canadian bacon right now and the TBS. per pound and 24 hrs per 1/4" comes into play@ 33*- 40*.The nitrites in tender quick are to be used with caution .dry rub ,brine all have very exact measurements and temps to follow.The jerky I make around here never last long enough to find out about shelf life..All the best.Bill

It's really hard to answer that without knowing how much liquid you are brining in. Even though the cure acts as a preservative, it's mainly use in jerky because of the extended time for the meat to smoke and dry.

mortons recipes with tender quik or sugar cure
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
call for you to rub 1 tbl per lb in meat--
let sit 2 hrs----rinse off with water---pat dry--
the rest is up to you

I use MTQ for curing my jerky and I use TBS per pound + 1/4 cup of water for each pound. I do not rinse the jerky when finished and it turns out great. Nice flavor. I base all my jerky flavors off of the above basics.

I would like to add that I marinate for 8-10 hours, or 4-6 hours with vac sealer.

you know in 20 years I have never used a "cure" when making jerkey. I have made it in an old smoker made out of a dishwasher and with a dehydrator, and I don't think its nessasary. first it is a very thin cut of meet (abvout 1/4" or less) second you are drying it in about 170 degree heat. at that thickness it is over 140 degrees in no time and the rest of the cooking/smoking process is to remove water from the meat.

I end up making 10 to 15 batches a year (darned kids go throughg it like its candy).

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky