• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I think I got one right.

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

propjob

Sep 20, 2015
Trying to master the reverse sear, but I haven't had many chances to practice. Today gave me a chance, and it seems to have worked out. Now, if my pattern holds, the next one will get screwed up.

propjob

Sep 20, 2015
About an hour in the smoker at 175 with half and half mesquite and JD oak. From there to a 550 infrared grill.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
It sure looks good!!

Al

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2013
Only problem I see if I didn't get any....... methinks you're on the right track.

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
I will be following this. I have tried a reverse sear once and wasn't pleased. I want to get a better handle on it because It will open up a whole new method.

Thanks everyone, Joe

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
That steak looks outstanding propjob...nicely done!  

You can take all the guesswork out with a reliable instant read meat thermometer.  Cook/smoke until the internal temperature of the steak is within about 10-15* of your target doneness, then do your sear.  Then, during a short rest, the meat will coast up another 5 to 10 degrees  in internal temp.  Here's a rough guide on steak doneness:

If you follow the guide and trust your thermometer, you should get the same result every time.

Hope that helps...

Red

Last edited:

propjob

Sep 20, 2015
Thanks everyone. It got the seal of approval from the wife, so yay me.

These were NY Strip, and one thing that I will be watching next time is making sure the steaks are better matched - same thickness, same weight, similar amount of marbling. One of the three was a bit more done than we prefer. Naturally, the one in the photo was the best of the bunch. :)

jetsknicks1

Smoking Fanatic
Nov 23, 2011
Those look good and the approval seal from the wife is important because that means you now get to try something new. :sausage:

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Fine looking steak to me.

Disco

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Aug 31, 2014
Those look great,another great cut for a R/S is Tri tip if you can find them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky