I really didn’t care about smoking this chuck roast today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
It was still a little frozen but I didn’t care.

I didn’t have any mesquite cut up to mix with the oak but I didn’t care.

I threw away all my temp probes after burning a brisket last month and had to rely on the dome thermometer but I didn’t care.

I didn’t have any butcher paper left and had to double wrap with foil but I didn’t care.

Somehow, not caring worked pretty well.
BC0FC217-A6F1-47AF-8397-D88F13388AAC.jpeg
460D449A-F293-43D8-A894-18A24969DEF7.jpeg
97B8A601-D7F9-43F3-AD2A-A5BD9FC432CC.jpeg
E72D147E-1CB1-416D-952B-68D0ECFD1491.jpeg
07CC586B-8424-4E0B-8D27-532AB544FFA1.jpeg

It was still a little frozen but I didn’t care.

I didn’t have any mesquite cut up to mix with the oak but I didn’t care.

I threw away all my temp probes after burning a brisket last month and had to rely on the dome thermometer but I didn’t care.

I didn’t have any butcher paper left and had to double wrap with foil but I didn’t care.

Somehow, not caring worked pretty well.
View attachment 475452View attachment 475453View attachment 475454View attachment 475455View attachment 475456
When did you wrap in foil? I did mine right around 160F and didn't get that nice bark. I'm happy with what I got for my first try, but honestly, yours looks better. I sliced, but think it would have shredded if I wanted. But that bark! I get it on my pork butt, but I've never wrapped one of those until the rest.

Reactions: negolien
I can’t explain it but for me I started out smoking 10 years ago and did everything simple and the food was meh. The. For the next long stretch I overanalyzed every small detail about every cook - when to rub, where to probe, how long to cook, meat placement, wrap/no wrap, rest, etc. you get the point, it was to the point of paranoia while smoking. Now I’m to the point where I’m back to keep it simple stupid, but with all the lessons I learned during the paranoia stage. I think BBQ is so addicting because only time and experience can make you a pitmaster. There is no substitute, and reward is worth every shitty piece of meat you learned something from.

Looks good from here, what did we do before all these gadgets , we simply smoked meats. Sometimes it's good to get back to the basics.

Reactions: chopsaw
When did you wrap in foil? I did mine right around 160F and didn't get that nice bark. I'm happy with what I got for my first try, but honestly, yours looks better. I sliced, but think it would have shredded if I wanted. But that bark! I get it on my pork butt, but I've never wrapped one of those until the rest.

The dome temp on my WSM18 stayed just under 300 the whole time, and it was wrapped after about 5 hours. The pic on the smoker is when I took it off to wrap. It was done after about 8 hours total.

I can’t explain it but for me I started out smoking 10 years ago and did everything simple and the food was meh. The. For the next long stretch I overanalyzed every small detail about every cook - when to rub, where to probe, how long to cook, meat placement, wrap/no wrap, rest, etc. you get the point, it was to the point of paranoia while smoking. Now I’m to the point where I’m back to keep it simple stupid, but with all the lessons I learned during the paranoia stage. I think BBQ is so addicting because only time and experience can make you a pitmaster. There is no substitute, and reward is worth every shitty piece of meat you learned something from.
Looks good from here, what did we do before all these gadgets , we simply smoked meats. Sometimes it's good to get back to the basics.

That was the lesson for me. Just fire + meat + time.

I didn’t even monitor the internal temp. Just probed it mid afternoon.

Looks great to me! I wouldn't care if you sent some to my house! I'd make it disappear :emoji_blush:

Ryan

think ya should've smoked that chicken to, just kidding i'm not sure what's on top of your sammie but when i first looked at it i thought it was raw chicken:emoji_astonished:, but don't mind me i'm an idiot:emoji_laughing:

May I please add a large AMEN to that.

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky